Thread: Thiers-Issard ****elephant knife failure - where to buy replacement

Question Thiers-Issard ****elephant knife failure - where to buy replacement

I have several "Sabatier" kitchen knives, most are manufactured by Thiers-Issard****elephant logo-France and are stainless steel, full tang, black handle, three rivets. Mother in Law (age 90) dropped one knife on wood floor and, (surprise) the blade broke about 1/2 in forward of tang. Inspection showed a significant internal metallurgical defect in forged steel blade, rather obvious too. A decent, but far from excellent, I've had this knife for about 15-years. Told wife to "throw it out", but she said, "just go to store and get free replacement since it has life-time guarantee". Not sure if this brand of Sabitier knife is sold any more in USA, but if so, who might sell? Sabitiers I see are manufactured by Econome-France, but I never see Thiers-Issard****elephant any more.
    On the other hand, I much prefer old fashioned high-carbon steel. Yep, CS looks like crap, but a few strokes on stone and razor sharp. All my pocket knives are CS. But wife loves stainless.... Any recommendations?

http://thebestthings.com/knives/sabatier.htm

you can choose here between carbon, nogent carbon, stainless and a few others (Canadian)

cheers!
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    I know TBT or " The best things" store online sells them.
    "See... the problem here is that... my little brother, this morning, got his arm caught in the microwave, and uh... my grandmother dropped acid and she freaked out, and hijacked a school bus full of... penguins, so it's kind of a family crisis... so come back later? Great."
    -Lane Myer (Definitely not as in Oscar Mayer)

Hope this dosn't not violate any rules , but have you considered Messermeister, I have several , various shapes & sizes. they're great knives
    and not that expensive compared to Japanese steel knives.

http://www.messermeister.com/Chefs-Knives/

why don't you send them an email ?
    Can't hurt, eh?
    http://www.sabatier.com/

In fact I just googled "thiers issard" and
    found this page.... it's a uk site, but it would seem like well worth sending them a message....

scroll down and you find this, plus a contact for
    "PLEASE NOTE -

If you are having a problem with your Thiers-Issard four-star elephant Sabatier knife, we will be pleased to help - just contact us on the form below. If however your knife does NOT bear the Thiers-Issard trademark shown below then I’m afraid we cannot help, as it was made by one of the other cutlers who -as mentioned at the top of this page - legally use the name ‘ Sabatier’. In this case we suggest referring to this link in Wikipedia that may assist."