Quantcast
the lowly CAMP AXE. - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: the lowly CAMP AXE.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinW View Post
    Being a Swede i obviously have to have a soft spot for the Gränsfors Bruks axes. They are a thing of functional beauty. I believe the bruk had a close call with bankrupcy a while back. Reinvented themselves as high end axe makers and that worked out well.
    Myself i am ashamed to say that i mainly use Fiskars axes with plastic handles.

Hmmmmm, maybe i should dig through the parents old stashes, chanses are pretty good there might be a Gränsfors there somewhere from way before this day....
    Just ordered a Gransfors Bruks Hand Hatchet

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...ghlight=Sickle

Here is my small hatchet I got from Dave....it's awesome to say the least!.....ryan
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

viva la revolucion !

Quote Originally Posted by keithsaltydog View Post
    Just ordered a Gransfors Bruks Hand Hatchet
    hahhaha..you are going to love it.

i have a Wetterlings Wildlife Hatchet on the way..the competition of the axe you just ordered.!!

My Gansfors Bruks Hatchet came in,like the profile of the steel head.Have not sharpened it yet,because the handle needs work first.It is pretty rough,on inside curve very rough.No big deal,my 1" belt can smooth it out.Actually has some nice grain.Pob. will sand it to at least 1K.

I have seen the same thing wt. some carbon Machete I have & wt some cheaper forged carbon knives,it is almost like they put some good steel in it,go lax on the handle maybe figuring if you don't like it,you can finish it up nice.That's cool wt. me,I like sprucing up handles,I'm sure I am not the only one who fixes up handles that need some TLC.

Quote Originally Posted by keithsaltydog View Post
    My Gansfors Bruks Hatchet came in,like the profile of the steel head.Have not sharpened it yet,because the handle needs work first.It is pretty rough,on inside curve very rough.No big deal,my 1" belt can smooth it out.Actually has some nice grain.Pob. will sand it to at least 1K.

I have seen the same thing wt. some carbon Machete I have & wt some cheaper forged carbon knives,it is almost like they put some good steel in it,go lax on the handle maybe figuring if you don't like it,you can finish it up nice.That's cool wt. me,I like sprucing up handles,I'm sure I am not the only one who fixes up handles that need some TLC.
    cool!! they dont hide the hammer marks. they pride themselves on the old blacksmith ideals. i left mine rough..

i hack a few things, and i expect it to get uglier.

Yeh I like the steel, the rough forged look,but the wood handle needs some work,should look nice when I finish it.

i cant wait until you are done!!

my Wetterlings Axe shows up at work on friday. bummer i WAS going to call in sick..cough cough. dangit!

i do expect the wetterlings to be pretty rough looking. whatever..i'll take it up to the sierras on a backpack trip. i am gonna try to clean a trout with it. ahhaha.

Check out Autine by John Neeman....Awesome axes.

Quote Originally Posted by KVacc View Post
    Check out Autine by John Neeman....Awesome axes.
    thinking about ordering a boot knife from the man. his new website is not good.

he old company, man..great website. great axes. i "need" a forest axe, but my wife would kill me with it.

Quote Originally Posted by boomchakabowwow View Post
    thinking about ordering a boot knife from the man. his new website is not good.

he old company, man..great website. great axes. i "need" a forest axe, but my wife would kill me with it.
    The old website is much better. I had John (Autine) make a double bit axe for me, you can see it on his fb page.