Quantcast
the lowly CAMP AXE.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: the lowly CAMP AXE.

the lowly CAMP AXE.

i dont think i am alone in this group. i like all things "sharp". i am outdoorsy, and i hunt and fish. i just recently picked myself up a great axe. a local store was closing, and i went to look at their japanese kitchen knives. they had everything. chisels..and AXES. everything was razor sharp. i have been contemplated using an axe to assist in the butchering of large animals. so i got an axe. a GRANSFOR Bruks small forest axe. it is super sharp! i touched it up and it could shave my leg. i immediately used it to dispatch my non egg laying hens. (best broth ever!). i fell in love. using a cleaver to lop off heads took more strength in my swing. just dropping the small axe, plop off the heads. i usually get a free hog every year. taking off the ribs will get interesting. made in Sweden, using 100 year old thinking. this thing is hammered out by a blacksmith. i even know which one because he stamped his initials into the tool. i am going into the wilderness for a week looking for native trout soon. i just ordered a small hatchet from a competitor. also from Sweden..also hammered out by a smitty! a Wetterlings! i am going to pack it in, and just bring a tiny knife. my campfire chores will be a joy.

any other axe fans out there?

I have the scandinavian forest axe, which is 3/4 length. I carry it along with a tommi puukko.

My favorit axe is a Stihl with a black composite handle. It's light and it rocks for blazing a trail through Cedars.
    Who you jivin' with that Cosmik Debris?

I have a couple Hatchets both old & new.I can remember when I was a small kid my father chopping off chicken heads wt. a Hatchet.

I have a thing for axes, hatchets, & tomahawks - probably my first sharp edged loves.

Nice score!

These are mine. I forged them out about 20 years ago. I think I used a truck leaf spring for one and for the poll axe I used something off of an old tractor or something. First and only axes I ever made. Hand carved Hickory handles. I have used these to chop small trees, skin and dress ELK, DEER, PIGS, AND BEEVES. Damn, I know how to make a lot of stuff. lol I haven't gone hunting in years so, they sit in a box with a bunch of other pretty cool stuff I made.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	hatchet4.jpg‎
Views:	16
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	13171   Click image for larger version

Name:	hatchet3.jpg‎
Views:	15
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	13170  

Click image for larger version

Name:	hatchet.jpg‎
Views:	13
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	13168   Click image for larger version

Name:	hatchet2.jpg‎
Views:	16
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	13169  

Click image for larger version

Name:	hatchet5.jpg‎
Views:	20
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	13172  
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Being a Swede i obviously have to have a soft spot for the Gränsfors Bruks axes. They are a thing of functional beauty. I believe the bruk had a close call with bankrupcy a while back. Reinvented themselves as high end axe makers and that worked out well.
    Myself i am ashamed to say that i mainly use Fiskars axes with plastic handles.

Hmmmmm, maybe i should dig through the parents old stashes, chanses are pretty good there might be a Gränsfors there somewhere from way before this day....

i'm jealous of your skills sachem

Wow son those are really nice.

sacham..that is cool!!

homemade is best!

i tinkered with my GB axe this morning and got it to here:

i didnt try to shave my leg with it. heheh.

+ Reply to Thread