Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Masamoto HC vs Sweden Series

Masamoto HC vs Sweden Series

I'm in the market for a new 240mm gyuto, after selling my 210mm. Budget is around 200$. Thinking I want a carbon yo handle, because thats what I'm familiar with, but I'm open to wa handles too.
    At the moment I've narrowed it down to either a Masamoto HC or a Misono dragon. Again, if there are 'better' options in this price range I'm open to them. I am in the UK though, so something from Koki is best due to his shipping. I'm not sure what Jons like on international shipping, but I can't really justify the 40$+ that some sites charge for postage.

I don't want anything too thin (currently using a Sabatier 10 inch nogent and I'm happy with the thickness of that, no fatter but a little thinner is okay), I'm a leftie too.

Out of the two that I'm considering, which is subjectively better, and what are the advantages/dis of each? Are there any other options that I should give serious consideration to?

The masahiro virgin carbon gyuto is a nice blade for the money as well.

You can call and ask Jon what shipping would be to the uk. I just bought a Suien 240 gyuto from him and am very happy with it. Thin enough to cut well, but feels sturdy enough to handle whatever you'd throw at it. Not sure what the steel is (I've read speculation it's V2), but it's very unreactive so far and had a very useable profile, mostly flat with just enough curve to be versatile. It's worth a look, especially since its $70 less than the HC and $40 less than the Misono.

I owned the HC and I can say from first hand experience that the steel is good, but so is the steel in the Sweden and I prefer the profile of the Sweden.

Should also add that the HC fit and finish on the handle was mediocre but I've heard only good things about misono f&f.

A few years ago I did some research about the same question and found that with the Masamoto the fluctuations in F&F were huge. You really had to pick out a good one and even than, accept some minor issues. To me that was unacceptable with a knife at that price level. I'm not sure if Masamoto have changed QC since.
    The Swedish Carbon is strongly right biased. The 70/30 statement by Koki is far too optimistic from your point of view. The right face is strongly convexed, much more than with a Carbonext. I guess with putting a neutral edge on the CN and thinning the left side a little you were fine with it. This is not the case with the Swedish. The convexity is much more pronounced. Expect a vast operation with uncertain results.
    If you've owned a Carbonext you should know how it performs and can easily be changed into a leftie. Why not just ordering a 240 Carbonext??

Sorry, I missed the fact that you're a lefty until Benuser mentioned it. The Suien I recommended above is very strongly righty biased as well.

i too am interested in the misono swedish steel gyuto, would love to try a dragon. also a lefty. but oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Benuser View Post
    A few years ago I did some research about the same question and found that with the Masamoto the fluctuations in F&F were huge. You really had to pick out a good one and even than, accept some minor issues. To me that was unacceptable with a knife at that price level. I'm not sure if Masamoto have changed QC since.
    The Swedish Carbon is strongly right biased. The 70/30 statement by Koki is far too optimistic from your point of view. The right face is strongly convexed, much more than with a Carbonext. I guess with putting a neutral edge on the CN and thinning the left side a little you were fine with it. This is not the case with the Swedish. The convexity is much more pronounced. Expect a vast operation with uncertain results.
    If you've owned a Carbonext you should know how it performs and can easily be changed into a leftie. Why not just ordering a 240 Carbonext??

On the one hand I have considered the CN, and I know I would be happy with it. But, on the other, when there are so many knives it would seem silly to get something which I've already owned..

Just buy a Dragon and convex the left side a bit. It's not that drastic, really.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com