Quantcast
Masamoto HC vs Sweden Series - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Masamoto HC vs Sweden Series

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    Just buy a Dragon and convex the left side a bit. It's not that drastic, really.
    +1 I've got a 240 swedish gyuto, well had one. Still waiting to get it back from dave with a new dress ;-) and also lefty and had no problems using it. Worked fine for me with no steering or drastic sticking issues.

Dear lefties, please explain. You want to recenter the edge and convex the left side. So far so good. But shouldn't you as well flatten the right side to reduce its convexity?? Otherwise, with a recentered edge, you would have two convexed, almost symmetric faces, which would cause huge wedging IMHO. What am I missing??

Is the SS better than the Masamoto then? What about other options in the price range?

What would be subjectively the best knife I can get that I can use as an all purpose knife?

If you were willing to stretch the budget a bit, the Kochi is a great performer.
    one man gathers what another man spills...

I can stretch my budget, I have savings that I can spend if I want. The thing is that I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to fully appreciate buying a wisely chosen 500$ knife over something that costs me 200$, as I'm not sure if I'm enough of a sharpener to bring out its potential, knife skills aren't great enough to full bring out its potential. But then maybe I should just get *the* knife so that I don't need to buy one as my skills + ability do improve. I'm quite torn over it.

im also a lefty and i enjoyed my misono swed gyuto. the masamoto hc isnt nearly as a good a knife and is quite overpriced. theres lots of praise on some forums about the masamoto hc but i think most of the praise was written 5-7 years ago. i think better options are available now.

Quote Originally Posted by rdm_magic View Post
    The thing is that I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to fully appreciate buying a wisely chosen 500$ knife over something that costs me 200$, as I'm not sure if I'm enough of a sharpener to bring out its potential, knife skills aren't great enough to full bring out its potential. But then maybe I should just get *the* knife so that I don't need to buy one as my skills + ability do improve.
    The Kochi is currently out of stock, but runs less than $300. As to sharpening, it is a fairly easy knife to keep up, as to skills I think a good knife can help with skills as it allows you to focus on technique rather than worrying about forcing a cut. I keep buying 'the knife' and trading it for another Nice though that you can recover most of your money when you resell and then try something else. I think you really need to find one that the profile fits your technique and that feels good in hand (balance, weight, length), the benefit to trying a bunch of knives is that you can really fine tune what you are looking for--the more you try, the more you learn what you like.

Cheers
    one man gathers what another man spills...

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    im also a lefty and i enjoyed my misono swed gyuto. the masamoto hc isnt nearly as a good a knife and is quite overpriced. theres lots of praise on some forums about the masamoto hc but i think most of the praise was written 5-7 years ago. i think better options are available now.
    I owned the HC and its strength was absolutely its steel. Very unreactive, great edge retention and sharpened up very easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian View Post
    I owned the HC and its strength was absolutely its steel. Very unreactive, great edge retention and sharpened up very easily.
    But I didn't like its profile. I'm actually thinking about picking up a swede primarily because its one of the few western handled gyutos that has the Sab/KS profile that I love and will only have.

the profile of the misono swed actually has a long subtle curve.