Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Masamoto HC vs Sweden Series

i own the HC now bought it from another user on here. I wanna try out the dragon as well.

I've toyed with selling mine (even though it's one of my true prizes...I know I'd regret it, though).
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    I've toyed with selling mine (even though it's one of my true prizes...I know I'd regret it, though).
    Blasphemy!

or

KS is really THAT good?
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    You have a KS?

From these forums I'm considering an A type now aswell. Out of the question for a leftie? What kind of work will I have to do on arrival?
    It comes highly rated and falls right in my budget (http://yhst-27988581933240.stores.ya...-wa-gy240.html if thats the right one)

as was posted on that thread about the aritsugu A type, you'll have to do a lot of work to completely work for a lefty.

but i have a couple righty knives in western handles that work okay for me. ingredients sticking to the left side of the knife is annoying since it's practically completely flat. but as most things for lefties, it's something you just gotta get used to in a world where the japanese make knives really for righties and lefties have it bad and just get "adjusted" righty blades so they work a little better for us.

not a lot of 50/50 grind j knives out there so....you know how it is.

if you really want a better performing knife that's friendly for both righties and lefties that you don't have to really work on, look for 50/50 grind blades that's around $250 mark and up. or if you really want a lefty knife, you'll just have to get a custom and pay extra for the custom work.

i'm already saving up for custom lefty knives. nothing too expensive as i am, well, financially challenged and living in a 3rd world country..... i'm looking into wa handled knives these days to try them out. as i've already contacted a couple j knife makers online, it takes about 30-90 days to get a custom knife. but those are smaller and lesser known knife makers. you might wanna do the same, having a custom. easier for you that way. easier to maintain, less thinking about getting a better performing knife and overthinking sharpening angles and such.

such is our pain of being a lefty in a righty world. lol. i'm so bitter. it sucks so bad that i really started out earlier in life as a right handed person but ended up becoming left handed coz i pretty much forgot how to use my right hand for writing and other stuff. i tried using my right hand for cutting with knives, and it turns out i have quite a bit of carpal tunnel syndrome on it from decades of using a mouse and keyboard. so.... i'm stuck with using my left for knives. lol. i guess you can say i'm a bit ambidextrous. i can use a gun with either hand, dribble a ball, use a mouse, but can't write or cut with my right even if my life depended on it.

sorry just sourgraping here. lol.

one last thing, when you get to wanna have like a honesuki, a deba, a hankotsu and other more asymmetric knives.... you'll really end up getting either a custom one or a specially ordered left handed version. so i'd like to think you'd get what you really want when you order one that's really fit for your needs.

it'll "pay" in the end, paying extra for what you want.

=D

unless you like giving yourself a hard time. i know i do. lol. i'm a bit of a masochist that way.

Yup, I have a KS. It's damned good, and has definitely made the Dragon redundant. However, the Dragon has also made the KS redundant, depending on my mood. How many gyutos does a guy really need? Haha
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Does anyone know if Misono makes another version of the Swedish carbon line? I found these: http://www.chuboknives.com/collections/misono/Carbon while looking around the net.
    They are roughly 20-25% cheaper than at JCK and they also don't have the Dragon.
    What gives???

Quote Originally Posted by franzb69 View Post
    as was posted on that thread about the aritsugu A type, you'll have to do a lot of work to completely work for a lefty.

but i have a couple righty knives in western handles that work okay for me. ingredients sticking to the left side of the knife is annoying since it's practically completely flat. but as most things for lefties, it's something you just gotta get used to in a world where the japanese make knives really for righties and lefties have it bad and just get "adjusted" righty blades so they work a little better for us.

not a lot of 50/50 grind j knives out there so....you know how it is.

if you really want a better performing knife that's friendly for both righties and lefties that you don't have to really work on, look for 50/50 grind blades that's around $250 mark and up. or if you really want a lefty knife, you'll just have to get a custom and pay extra for the custom work.

i'm already saving up for custom lefty knives. nothing too expensive as i am, well, financially challenged and living in a 3rd world country..... i'm looking into wa handled knives these days to try them out. as i've already contacted a couple j knife makers online, it takes about 30-90 days to get a custom knife. but those are smaller and lesser known knife makers. you might wanna do the same, having a custom. easier for you that way. easier to maintain, less thinking about getting a better performing knife and overthinking sharpening angles and such.

such is our pain of being a lefty in a righty world. lol. i'm so bitter. it sucks so bad that i really started out earlier in life as a right handed person but ended up becoming left handed coz i pretty much forgot how to use my right hand for writing and other stuff. i tried using my right hand for cutting with knives, and it turns out i have quite a bit of carpal tunnel syndrome on it from decades of using a mouse and keyboard. so.... i'm stuck with using my left for knives. lol. i guess you can say i'm a bit ambidextrous. i can use a gun with either hand, dribble a ball, use a mouse, but can't write or cut with my right even if my life depended on it.

sorry just sourgraping here. lol.
    What customs are you looking at? Price range? I'm not against getting a custom, but the price and relative ignorance of which to get stop me.
    +1 for using the mouse as a leftie too, I use a knife and fork the right handed way too. No chance I could write or cut anything with my right though