Quantcast
Need help with some recipes...side dishes
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help with some recipes...side dishes

Need help with some recipes...side dishes

So I have to make dinner for some people this week....the main star of the dinner is some huge dry aged t bone and porterhouse steaks.....I have to stay within some parameters for dinner.....they want the steak ....a potato of some kind.....and a vegetable......

I don't wanna do the same old thing though....I wanna do something different......

They asked that I make a salad that I have made in the past....it has arugula...mandarin oranges, sliced red onion, candied pecans, a round of fried goat cheese, and just a simple vinaigrette....it is really tasty but I've made it a million times.....no one at the dinner has had it though....except for one person......

Any ideas about sides or potato dishes....I really don't wanna make baked or roasted potatoes.....and just some roasted carrots or something lame.....I am fresh outta ideas.....I also gotta make some kind of appetizer with shrimp.....Ryan
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

viva la revolucion !

Its still blood orange season, make a blood orange vin.

For potatoes, mix them w/ a pate choux, pipe them onto a silpat, brush w/ egg. bake - pomme dalphine

Maybe introduce some parsnips in w/ your carrots to break it up a bit.

All depends on how tight your parameters are.

I lik egg spot ago idea.....I don't necessarily have to make carrots.....I just wanna do something different for them.....maybe a purée of some sort.....like a carrot purée?.....or something like that.....like mashed potatoes but something different?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

viva la revolucion !

You could mix the carrots w/ sweet potatoes to give your puree a little more body. Or maybe the carrot becomes part of the sauce for the steak and your main veg becomes something else, like some roasted sprouts.

If you want to work with blood oranges, try a blood orange and fennel salad. Julienne the fennel bulbs (figure 2-3 people per bulb). Supreme 2 blood oranges per fennel bulb and put in a bowl with the fennel. For the dressing, squeeze the supreme 'remains' into a small bowl or glass measuring cup. Juice another blood orange or two into the bowl/ cup. Pour in 1/4 cup or so of regular orange juice. Add S&P and a few tablespoons of olive oil. Taste the dressing for seasoning and acid; add more blood orange, orange juice or even some white balsamic vineger if you want to make it a little more acidic. Pour over the fennel and blood orange segments and toss. Taste; add a little more S&P if needed.

It a nice fresh/ crisp and refreshing side. All it is missing is bacon...

Another good side to try (I do not have a recipe) is mac & cheese w/ lobster. Kinda knocks out a side and a starch at once, but you might want to add in a green salad w/ an acidic dressing to help cut the overall richness of the plate.

Since it's winter,

Carrots, parsnips, and turnips all cut into inch or so pieces.
    Something green like broccoli, brussel sprouts, snap peas, I prefer the broccoli cut into inch or so florets.
    Season and drizzle with olive oil. Roast in high heat until tender.

In a food processor buzz a cup or so of pecans, an ounce or so of Parmesan, a handful of parsley, zest of a lemon and a garlic clove.
    Toss with your vegetables, spritz with lemon juice and a little more oil and serve.

Made this for Christmas and it was great.

I can dig up the exact recipe if you need but that should get you by.

-AJ

Quote Originally Posted by WildBoar View Post
    If you want to work with blood oranges, try a blood orange and fennel salad. Julienne the fennel bulbs (figure 2-3 people per bulb). Supreme 2 blood oranges per fennel bulb and put in a bowl with the fennel. For the dressing, squeeze the supreme 'remains' into a small bowl or glass measuring cup. Juice another blood orange or two into the bowl/ cup. Pour in 1/4 cup or so of regular orange juice. Add S&P and a few tablespoons of olive oil. Taste the dressing for seasoning and acid; add more blood orange, orange juice or even some white balsamic vineger if you want to make it a little more acidic. Pour over the fennel and blood orange segments and toss. Taste; add a little more S&P if needed.

It a nice fresh/ crisp and refreshing side. All it is missing is bacon...

Another good side to try (I do not have a recipe) is mac & cheese w/ lobster. Kinda knocks out a side and a starch at once, but you might want to add in a green salad w/ an acidic dressing to help cut the overall richness of the plate.
    I like this salad w/ paper thin sliced and julienned celeriac w/ grilled meyer lemons peels minced.

How about homemade potato gnocchi with a bleu cheese cream sauce and braised broccoli rabe for the veg?

Or a large potato and mushroom rosti cut in wedges with creamed kale as your veg?

IMHO it isn't really green salad season. You could roast some heirloom beets and serve them chilled with goat cheese, pickled shallots and a mustard vinaigrette.

Another idea would be roasted red peppers with feta cheese, pine nuts, currants and basil oil.

My absolute favorite winter starter is fried mushrooms, goat cheese, cream and fresh thyme on crostini.

However if they want shrimp, perhaps something different like New Orleans style BBQ Shrimp. They're not really BBQ but sauteed in butter, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, lemon juice and a couple of shakes of hot sauce and served with baguette.

I do charred brussel sprouts with black pepper roasted butternut squash. cube butternut squash, halve brussel sprouts toss with sea salt and generous amounts of cracked black pepper and olive oil. place in a 500 degree+ oven for 10- to 15 minutes or until the squash is tender and slightly charred. The brussel sprouts should be charred but, still bright green and have some crispness to them. mix with some fresh scallions.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Potatoes lyonnaise. Win. Take some potatoes and bake em. Then cool them and slice them into coins or half moons or even steak fry cuts about. 25" thick. Now julienne some onions with the grain and caramelize. Now pan fry or deep fry the potatoes until golden brown and crispy and have a pan with the butter, onions and chopped herbs, then throw the potatoes in and saute together. Season with kosher salt and pepper and win.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/