Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help with some recipes...side dishes

I used to do a parsnip/apple/potato rösti which was pretty easy and a little different. You could add a little Fontina or St. Andre to boost the 'richness'. Also, rutabaga puree is nice in winter. For an app, maybe a shrimp chawanmushi?
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Ok theory wins.....I think that might be the best idea for potatoes with this crowd....I like all the ideas but this ain't a roasted beet or kale crowd.....I don't know if any of them have even eaten a beet!......

Ok so what about a simple appetizer that's not shrimp cocktail?.....ryan
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

viva la revolucion !

potato Galette. easy to make, looks like it was hard to make. win/win.

Quote Originally Posted by sudsy9977 View Post
    Ok theory wins.....I think that might be the best idea for potatoes with this crowd....I like all the ideas but this ain't a roasted beet or kale crowd.....I don't know if any of them have even eaten a beet!......

Ok so what about a simple appetizer that's not shrimp cocktail?.....ryan
    Wrap something in bacon and put it out, you'll be a hero.

I've made roasted brussels sprouts, and quite a few people who "do not like brussels sprouts" end up liking them!. You can also serve them with a sour cream or yogurt and garlic sauce the side for dipping.

Cut the larger ones in half, and leave the smaller ones whole so they all cook in about the same time. You might want to give them a quick stir partway through the cooking time.

Quote Originally Posted by sachem allison View Post
    I do charred brussel sprouts with black pepper roasted butternut squash. cube butternut squash, halve brussel sprouts toss with sea salt and generous amounts of cracked black pepper and olive oil. place in a 500 degree+ oven for 10- to 15 minutes or until the squash is tender and slightly charred. The brussel sprouts should be charred but, still bright green and have some crispness to them. mix with some fresh scallions.

Quote Originally Posted by ecchef View Post
    I used to do a parsnip/apple/potato rösti which was pretty easy and a little different. You could add a little Fontina or St. Andre to boost the 'richness'. Also, rutabaga puree is nice in winter. For an app, maybe a shrimp chawanmushi?
    +1 to Rosti. Nick and Stef's in LA had it for years as one of their sides. I always ordered it when I ate there because it's a perfect side to steak. Crunchy but not greasy, so it's lighter than french fries, but fluffy like a baked potato. It's excellent with some sour cream and some fresh herbs.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Quote Originally Posted by ecchef View Post
    oh man that sounds real good. herbsaint in new orleans has a great potato rosti. they served it w/beef ribs. is there a good rosti recipe somewhere? anybody?

Potato - I agree with Theory on Lyonaisse or O'Brien (with peppers and onions cubing the potatoes) or Croquettes

Shrimp - Bacon wrapped with a light glaze or if you want a little heavier do the bbq method listed above with some grits

I would incorporate parsnips in the mix somewhere too, that just sounds good this time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    oh man that sounds real good. herbsaint in new orleans has a great potato rosti. they served it w/beef ribs. is there a good rosti recipe somewhere? anybody?
    I remember reading this article and recipe from Saveur.

http://www.saveur.com/article/Kitchen/Swiss-Bliss

http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Rosti

I've made hash browns using a similar technique - steaming whole Russet or Yukon Golds - then peeling them and grating them (adding salt) and cooking them in a pan until crispy and flipping. I didn't, however, coat them in the fat like this recipe instructs, but they still turn out really well.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Try roasted sunchoke puree for your meat they're in season and a good starch as for other veg that's easy use things that are in season cauliflower broccolini turnips artichokes are nice right now. Make a nice sauce to go along and find some greens mustard frills or something. Easy money