Pink ebony?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apicius9

Das HandleMeister
Founding Member
Reaction score
Has anybody ever handled or worked with that? I bought a few pieces from an ebay seller I have had good experiences with and generally trust, but I was surprised that this was much lighter compared to other ebonies I have handled. Almost like a redwood. I had it sitting for a year and now got back a few pieces from K&G, looking forward to seeing what they will be like. Just don't want to claim it is something when it is not. The pieces actually were lightly spalted, and they look very nice. Will try to take a pic in the next days.

Stefan

O.K. I do feel a bit stupid. For as long as I remember, I have mixed up ebony and ivory (I blame Michael Jackson and Paul MaCartney). The stuff is obviously called pink ivory and maybe that's why it isn't as heavy as ebony :slaphead:

Stefan

Pat Ankrom occasionally sells it. I have never tried it, but always thought it looked interesting. In his descriptions he says it does not need to be stabilized because it is naturally dense and oily.

.... does not need to be stabilized because it is naturally dense and oily.

No, I think piynma is Asian satinwood, I have a bunch of that stuff also, and it is not pink. But what I have did not appear to be that dense and oily, although the color seems right. Maybe there is some variation, just like you get redwood all over the place in density? I'll clean a piece up and see what it looks like. They just got in today, and I was wondering because even after stabilizing it is not as heavy as I expected. Got some nice other goodies as well :)

Stefan

I'm curious if it will oxidize after being stabilized. Left alone or finished with a non-UV blocking agent it will turn brown.

Back