3M Micron Polishing Paper

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited by a moderator:
Those diamond sheets are available at lee valley. Down to .1u. Never tried them though. If only they made them in 1x42 belts!

I used them to polish my custom handle! they are work well with wood, ivory & horn......

I've bought a set ranging from 1k to .3micron i believe. At the time I only had a miyabi kaizen to sharpen, but on that steel they worked good. Worked nice to almost mirror polish the bevel.

I've had some for a couple of years too. I didn't know what to do with them, but after watching that video, it made me think they'd make pretty good stropping material.

Now I finally have a use for the glass plate on my HA strop base. :idea2:

Used some last night on a razor--I needed something with a smaller micron to clean up before using a natural finisher and it did fine. Used on glass and it was alright, but obviously lacked the feeling of a nice stone. Don't think I'd want to use it on a knife, but ymmv.

Cheers

3M Polishing Paper is not the same thing as lapping film. Lapping film uses a solid, smooth polyester film backing. Polishing Paper is a fibrous material as Dave described:

I bought these years ago and never could get any use from them. They're felt like and super thin, easy to tear, and don't work with hard steel. I think these might be better suited to woodworking or plastics or softer metals.

Dave, if you still have these have you tried them for finishing handles? From what I understand they should work well there.

I use them all the time and I love...LOVE...them. I agree with Dave, they're not much use on blades (the 3micron can be used to remove light patina or surface rust), but they kick ass for post finish polishing on custom handles. I use the 3, 2, and 1 micron grits. Jantz sells individual sheets for about $1.50. I really don't know what I would use in their place.

Be well,
Mikey

3M Polishing Paper is not the same thing as lapping film. Lapping film uses a solid, smooth polyester film backing. Polishing Paper is a fibrous material as Dave described:

Been a while since I posted that, but thanks for the correction. You are exactly right I was referring to lapping sheets (which I gave up on rather quickly on my straights).

Cheers

Been a while since I posted that, but thanks for the correction. You are exactly right I was referring to lapping sheets (which I gave up on rather quickly on my straights).

Cheers

That's alright Jim, you'll be able to see how well these work on handles in a couple of days:D

Back