Media Halibut Ceviche

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThEoRy

Founding Member
Reaction score
[video=youtube_share;R_VW8EF5i88]http://youtu.be/R_VW8EF5i88[/video]

i love me ceviche. being from a country that was once colonized by the spanish, i have a soft spot for all acid cooked food. hehe.

Thanks for sharing. I always learn something from your videos.

It may be a trick of the camera, but your knuckles appear close to the board. With the amount of chopping you do, that seems like it could get uncomfortable. Do you prefer narrow knives that give better tip control and slice well over knives that might be better at chopping.

Jay

Thanks for the video, great presentation.
Reminded me how long it's been since I had Ceviche.
I think I'll head out to the fish market today!

Glen

Thanks for sharing. I always learn something from your videos.

It may be a trick of the camera, but your knuckles appear close to the board. With the amount of chopping you do, that seems like it could get uncomfortable. Do you prefer narrow knives that give better tip control and slice well over knives that might be better at chopping.

Jay

The Tanaka is currently about 51mm tall at the heel so there's just enough clearance. It may be the angle that makes it look closer. Maybe time for a new Tanaka?? :D

Mad props on the vid. Wish I could serve that for lunch.

Awesome, thanks!

What went in the blender with the avocado and oil (sour cream, creme fraiche)? Also curious if you use salt.

Totally copied you and put together yellowtail collar ceviche. Made the avocado sauce too!

I've learned to "cook" the raw fish in a lot of citrus - submerged - for the desired amount of time - 20, 30, 40 minutes or whatever you prefer, depending on the fish, and then strain it and discard the juice. It's done it's work, and has a funk to it. You could go so far as to rinse it and dry it. Then mix in mire, fresh juice, seasonings. The ceviche is much cleaner tasting this way. Also, strain your lime juice as well as lemon juice to avoid lime pulp and membranes - had it happen to me and it's not nice in a presentation to get a bite of lime membrane.

Nice track!

Yeah there's kosher salt and fresh white pepper in both the ceviche and mousse. You can't see the salt since it's out of the frame.

Awesome, thanks!

What went in the blender with the avocado and oil (sour cream, creme fraiche)? Also curious if you use salt.

Avocado, sour cream, evoo, water s+p.

Also I serve it with crispy plantain chips not shown here. Just slice em on a deli slicer lengthwise and fry em up then season em.

At first I was surprised at how small the dice was on the halibut, but seeing the presentation it makes perfect sense. And thanks for the tip on the jalapenos Rick - funny I do red peppers like that all the time, but do jalapenos the hard way - go figure.

hey..this is the second video i've seen. i recognize the watch and blender. i love ceviche!!

thanks. the other vid..i think your were cutting onions.

hey..this is the second video i've seen. i recognize the watch and blender. i love ceviche!!

thanks. the other vid..i think your were cutting onions.

I may have cut an onion or two... among other things.

At first I was surprised at how small the dice was on the halibut, but seeing the presentation it makes perfect sense. And thanks for the tip on the jalapenos Rick - funny I do red peppers like that all the time, but do jalapenos the hard way - go figure.

What's the hard way? Some guys box em, some roll em, some split em then use a spoon or something. Cat. Skin.

Easily my favorite thing to make for the crew when I break certain fish. They just get tostadas and avocado slices, though. :D
Was that micro cilantro on top or a medley?

Easily my favorite thing to make for the crew when I break certain fish. They just get tostadas and avocado slices, though. :D
Was that micro cilantro on top or a medley?

Rainbow mix.

It's like a giant martini glass. We've always just used em for desserts like rice pudding and such. We've since retired these though.

Latest posts

Back