Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First knife set

Knife set???

Name:  080411_noooooo.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  25.9 KB

Jk. But if it's free yeah, get it, sell it, buy a couple J-blades.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Quote Originally Posted by Camaro34 View Post
    So what would be the best sabatier set to buy that would sell we'll on eBay?
    If you're going to resell on eBay (great idea), then Sabatiers may not be the best. Of the knife set options, search eBay and look at past auction prices. Then select the set that would result in the highest price.

The incredibly sophisticated Boise, ID <g>
    Quote Originally Posted by Camaro34 View Post
    So what would be the best sabatier set to buy that would sell we'll on eBay?
    What are the choices?

Which Sabatier are being proposed?

Quote Originally Posted by don View Post
    If you're going to resell on eBay (great idea), then Sabatiers may not be the best. Of the knife set options, search eBay and look at past auction prices. Then select the set that would result in the highest price.
    +1

I don't know of a single brand that I would want 1 of every knife they make vs picking and choosing from many. The best way to start in the world of good knives is to get 1 and focus on using / mastering that knife. Though using this knife you will start to inform yourself as to how you personally use a knife, what you like, what you don't and what your needs / wants are in a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, Nth knife purchase.
    -This is the path of the knife knut and the person who truly love knives mastering their use and understanding all aspects of them. That is the vast majority of the people on this forum, but the vast minority of people in the world.
    "I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded

I thinks Sabs are a good starting point. Those are better knives than most people on this planet Have. Didn't most (all?) of us start there, approximately?
    I don't see anything indicating this guy wants to venture down our crazy road, he just wants the best free knives he can get. Can't fault him for that.

@OP: I say get em, use em, and if they seem lacking at some point THEN come back for some suggestions. Otherwise, please enjoy your new knives indefinitely.
    -Enjoy the ride. *** All statements made herein are my personal opinion and nothing more, regardless of tone or context. ***

There are some bad Sabs out there too. I remember reading an article by BDL explaining the origin of the name and how basically there are very few rules as to who can make a knife and call it a Sab. There's even a made in China line that's being sold under this name. Even if he doesn't want to go down the blade-lined rabbit hole with the rest of us, I think that he's still be better served by getting the free set with highest re-sale value and flipping it on ebay for 1 good all-round knife.

Quote Originally Posted by wenus2 View Post
    I thinks Sabs are a good starting point. Those are better knives than most people on this planet Have. Didn't most (all?) of us start there, approximately?
    I don't see anything indicating this guy wants to venture down our crazy road, he just wants the best free knives he can get. Can't fault him for that.

@OP: I say get em, use em, and if they seem lacking at some point THEN come back for some suggestions. Otherwise, please enjoy your new knives indefinitely.
    "I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded

Quote Originally Posted by wenus2 View Post

Now that's what I call good advice. This site is called the kitchenknifeforum not the j-knifepuristsociety.

i wouldnt buy a set. annoying the storage block counts as 1 piece. come on! do a bit of research and buy ONE knife for now. a 10" chef knife. (i'm not a chef, only a home cook). the members here on this forum are downright fanatical. they name knives i've never heard of..i have been googling ever since joining, just to see pictures of knives.

my 1st knife was a wustof 10" classic chef knife. it is still with me, and i have done unmentionable things with it. i keep it razor sharp and it never lets me down. it is my go-to knife.

IMHO..you "really" only need a few blades to survive in a kitchen. besides the chef's. you need a paring knife, a boning knife..and a bread knife. oh, killer kitchen scissors are wonderful to have..(think cutting chives)

hope this helps.

I don't agree: if I was a poor student again or was recommending knives to a poor student, I would buy a Forschner/Victorinox "starter: set." You could get all the knives you need to get started for the same price as a Tojiro DP Gyuto, no??

Just checking online I see that a Victorinox "starter set" consisting of a"

4-inch Paring Knife
    8-inch Chef
    8 in Bread Knife

runs under $65

A 8" Tojiro DP Gyuto alone runs about $80