First knife set

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camaro34

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am new to this site and I am looking into buying my first knife set for my first home. I have 7 different sets to choose from; kitchen aid, farberware, cuisinart, sabatier, Fred & friends, guy fieri, and cuisine de France. The reason I am picking from these is because I can get them for free. Any and all information would be helpful.

Thank you,
Alexander

Do you have to get knives? The sets you've listed leave a lot to be desired. If you are planning to use this opportunity as a springboard into the world of performance cutlery I would do more research here to come up with better alternatives. If you are set on getting one of the sets then make the decision based on aesthetics. I would purchase the Sabatier because I like the way they look.

Get the Sabatier set, sell it on ebay, and then ask here for advice on buying a really good knife

:)

The reason why I listed those knives is because I can get them for free.

The reason why I listed those knives is because I can get them for free.

In that case, they are worth every penny you will have paid for them.

All kidding aside, you would be better off with two good knives, a chef's and a paring, than any of the sets you mention. That's why many of the replies suggest that you sell the set you get and use the proceeds to get those two good knives.

Rick

So what would be the best sabatier set to buy that would sell we'll on eBay?

Knife set???

080411_noooooo.jpg

Jk. But if it's free yeah, get it, sell it, buy a couple J-blades.

So what would be the best sabatier set to buy that would sell we'll on eBay?

If you're going to resell on eBay (great idea), then Sabatiers may not be the best. Of the knife set options, search eBay and look at past auction prices. Then select the set that would result in the highest price.

If you're going to resell on eBay (great idea), then Sabatiers may not be the best. Of the knife set options, search eBay and look at past auction prices. Then select the set that would result in the highest price.

+1

I don't know of a single brand that I would want 1 of every knife they make vs picking and choosing from many. The best way to start in the world of good knives is to get 1 and focus on using / mastering that knife. Though using this knife you will start to inform yourself as to how you personally use a knife, what you like, what you don't and what your needs / wants are in a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, Nth knife purchase.
-This is the path of the knife knut and the person who truly love knives mastering their use and understanding all aspects of them. That is the vast majority of the people on this forum, but the vast minority of people in the world.

I thinks Sabs are a good starting point. Those are better knives than most people on this planet Have. Didn't most (all?) of us start there, approximately?
I don't see anything indicating this guy wants to venture down our crazy road, he just wants the best free knives he can get. Can't fault him for that.

@OP: I say get em, use em, and if they seem lacking at some point THEN come back for some suggestions. Otherwise, please enjoy your new knives indefinitely.

There are some bad Sabs out there too. I remember reading an article by BDL explaining the origin of the name and how basically there are very few rules as to who can make a knife and call it a Sab. There's even a made in China line that's being sold under this name. Even if he doesn't want to go down the blade-lined rabbit hole with the rest of us, I think that he's still be better served by getting the free set with highest re-sale value and flipping it on ebay for 1 good all-round knife.

I thinks Sabs are a good starting point. Those are better knives than most people on this planet Have. Didn't most (all?) of us start there, approximately?
I don't see anything indicating this guy wants to venture down our crazy road, he just wants the best free knives he can get. Can't fault him for that.

@OP: I say get em, use em, and if they seem lacking at some point THEN come back for some suggestions. Otherwise, please enjoy your new knives indefinitely.

Now that's what I call good advice. This site is called the kitchenknifeforum not the j-knifepuristsociety.

i wouldnt buy a set. annoying the storage block counts as 1 piece. come on! do a bit of research and buy ONE knife for now. a 10" chef knife. (i'm not a chef, only a home cook). the members here on this forum are downright fanatical. they name knives i've never heard of..i have been googling ever since joining, just to see pictures of knives.

my 1st knife was a wustof 10" classic chef knife. it is still with me, and i have done unmentionable things with it. i keep it razor sharp and it never lets me down. it is my go-to knife.

IMHO..you "really" only need a few blades to survive in a kitchen. besides the chef's. you need a paring knife, a boning knife..and a bread knife. oh, killer kitchen scissors are wonderful to have..(think cutting chives)

hope this helps.

I don't agree: if I was a poor student again or was recommending knives to a poor student, I would buy a Forschner/Victorinox "starter: set." You could get all the knives you need to get started for the same price as a Tojiro DP Gyuto, no??

Just checking online I see that a Victorinox "starter set" consisting of a"

4-inch Paring Knife
8-inch Chef
8 in Bread Knife

runs under $65

A 8" Tojiro DP Gyuto alone runs about $80

Now that's what I call good advice. This site is called the kitchenknifeforum not the j-knifepuristsociety.

... another in a long series of 72 brilliant posts.:chin:

Moving on:

Here's the article I mentioned about the different types of Sab's:
http://www.cheftalk.com/t/57355/which-sabatier-is-which-sabatier-whats-a-sabatier-anyway

bottom line: make sure that they are made in France. Based on the other optional sets and the price range of those knives, I'm guessing that the Sabs on offer are Chinese junk like the rest of them.
Not to be a "knife snob", but I feel like messing with crap is a waste of time: in anything you do, not just knives. Good or, at the minimum, "not bad" tools are important. Very few people (arguably none) really NEED a $1000+ honyaki j-blade or custom, but pretty much everyone, regardless of skill and experience can benefit from 1, half-way decent knife in the 210-240mm range costing around $100... an NO, it doesn't have to be Japanese. I don't know if any of the sets that you mentioned have $100 worth of ebay value, but they will at least get you part of the way there... and that, to me, makes more sense in messing with a set that's just going to frustrate you until you finally give up and buy a better knife anyway.

I don't agree: if I was a poor student again or was recommending knives to a poor student, I would buy a Forschner/Victorinox "starter: set." You could get all the knives you need to get started for the same price as a Tojiro DP Gyuto, no??

Just checking online I see that a Victorinox "starter set" consisting of a"

4-inch Paring Knife
8-inch Chef
8 in Bread Knife

runs under $65

A 8" Tojiro DP Gyuto alone runs about $80

That 8" Victorinox is not a bad knife at all, but unless the paring and bread knife are needed right away, why not save the extra money and put it towards something better when the time/need comes for it? If your budget is that tight, then that's all the more reason to not but anything that you don't actually need.

i wouldnt buy a set. annoying the storage block counts as 1 piece. come on! do a bit of research and buy ONE knife for now. a 10" chef knife. (i'm not a chef, only a home cook). the members here on this forum are downright fanatical. they name knives i've never heard of..i have been googling ever since joining, just to see pictures of knives.

my 1st knife was a wustof 10" classic chef knife. it is still with me, and i have done unmentionable things with it. i keep it razor sharp and it never lets me down. it is my go-to knife.

IMHO..you "really" only need a few blades to survive in a kitchen. besides the chef's. you need a paring knife, a boning knife..and a bread knife. oh, killer kitchen scissors are wonderful to have..(think cutting chives)

hope this helps.

He's getting a free set...his choice.

I do agree, get whatever you can sell for the most on the bay, take that money and buy something nice.

... another in a long series of 72 brilliant posts.:chin:

Wow.....don't know the man from a bar of soap. Sure, I'll admit it was a clumsy use of words but given the tone of your response to the OP you've just proven the point.

.......I'm guessing that the Sabs on offer are Chinese junk like the rest of them..........

You haven't got a clue what he's proposing to buy but they're junk anyhow and for good measure the rest of them are too.

.......Not to be a "knife snob", but I feel like messing with crap is a waste of time......

This one really speaks for itself.

.........a set that's just going to frustrate you until you finally give up and buy a better knife anyway.

So does this one. Nice way to make somebody feel really welcome!

I'd say on the whole you're CEO of the j-knife snobbery club.

Actually in my first post here on this site I mentioned that this site caters almost exclusively for high end knife buyers and a few months later and after 73 posts I can't really conclude otherwise. I guess it goes with the territory but it's also full of opinionated, blinkered and with few exceptions pretty boring people. What a waste of time and space!

Wow.....don't know the man from a bar of soap. Sure, I'll admit it was a clumsy use of words but given the tone of your response to the OP you've just proven the point.

You haven't got a clue what he's proposing to buy but they're junk anyhow and for good measure the rest of them are too.

Actually in my first post here on this site I mentioned that this site caters almost exclusively for high end knife buyers and a few months later and after 73 posts I can't really conclude otherwise. I guess it goes with the territory but it's also full of opinionated, blinkered and with few exceptions pretty boring people. What a waste of time and space!

If any of that was relevant or more than just a bunch of hack-up partial quotes and flailing about angrily, then I'd respond. But as it is, it's not even worth making fun of you. Perhaps an admin should wipe up some of the spittle so the adults can get back to discussing the OP...

I'll second the recommendation to look at BDL's post on Sabatier. There are so many lines/brands that (legally) use the name Sabatier, it can be confusing. If the set available to you isn't a good line, then you may not want any of those free sets.

Just curious--how are you getting your choice for free?

This site is called the kitchenknifeforum not the j-knifepuristsociety.

This site caters to people who want to discuss the best kitchen knives available. When not so great knives get mentioned they get noted for what they are and often recommendations are given for something better. Maybe that's not the best thing that could happen but when people are passionate about something they tend to want to share and enlighten others.

I'm sorry that the level of discussion and membership roles aren't up to the quality that you hoped to find yet I feel that it's good for you to have recognized this early on so that you will not have wasted anymore time (here) than you have already.

Camaro, any chance that you have the option of a set of Shun's?

You're the first person in all my time here and at the previous forums to make a post like this. Congratulations. For the record, it's not called the fivedollarkitchenknifeforums either. Just sayin.

Latest posts

Back