Quantcast
Misconception about Kitchen Knives - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Misconception about Kitchen Knives

Quote Originally Posted by ajhuff View Post
    Stampings usually have very low alloy content, particularly very low Mn content for deep drawing properties. You want a low shear strength to facilitate easy cutting of the sheet.

-AJ
    What about the low alloy content makes them bad? 1095 and W2 are pretty low in Mn and other alloying elements but they seem to work fine - is there something else besides annealing them that has to be done, compromising the end result?

I just figure that if you can just stamp out the shape, it'd be the same as removing the steel via machining/grinding.

Not sure if it fits here, but I take issue with the assumption that rock chopping is bad and shouldn't be practiced. Many times it is much much quicker and more efficient than push cutting. Sometimes people talk about when they used to do it in the past, as if it is something to be ashamed of

Quote Originally Posted by Timthebeaver View Post
    Steel can be both high carbon and "stainless". ZDP-189 for example contains more than twice as much carbon than white #1 but is stain resistant by virtue of the high (20%) chromium content in the alloy.
    Sorry I should have added some context. I'm not referring to the $900 gyuto. I'm talking about the marketing speak companies like cutco and whatever the hell Rachael Ray and guy fiere are using.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Quote Originally Posted by Don Nguyen View Post
    What about the low alloy content makes them bad? 1095 and W2 are pretty low in Mn and other alloying elements but they seem to work fine - is there something else besides annealing them that has to be done, compromising the end result?

I just figure that if you can just stamp out the shape, it'd be the same as removing the steel via machining/grinding.
    1095 is not a deep draw steel. 1005 is.
    AEB-L is not a deep draw steel, 430 is.

Stamped steel has very low carbon.

-AJ

Sponsors
    i know guys that stamp 19c27, white #2, A2, and many other high quality steels

Stampings usually have very low alloy content, particularly very low Mn content for deep drawing properties. You want a low shear strength to facilitate easy cutting of the sheet.

-AJ
    sounds like a personal problem. most of the people i know who deal with stampings are in the aerospace field, so maybe things are just different, elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    i know guys that stamp 19c27, white #2, A2, and many other high quality steels
    Likewise, I am familiar with knives made out of these steels that are stamped.

I actually don't own any stamped knives currently, but I have owned and used many and all were pretty much great knives with excellent steels.

Well what can I say..

-AJ

Engorged Member
    Well what can I say..

-AJ
    That's the point. Many of us have our own misconceptions. I am constantly being reminded on the forum of many things I thought were true being not so. That's what makes a forum like this great.
    "So you want to be a vegetarian? Hitler was a vegetarian and look at how he turned out."

Well what can I say..

-AJ
    AJ,

I hope you took my earlier comment as being tongue-in-cheek. I was reminded of a line in one of Wes Anderson's recent films.

Of course it is always difficult to discern subtle humour on the internet. I'm always open to learning something new...

Regards!

+ Reply to Thread