Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: extra tall konosuke hd?

extra tall konosuke hd?

looking to try a wa handled gyuto and would love to have a taller blade. anyone have experience with this knife?
    also considering sakai yusuke stainless but i already have an aeb knife in takayuki grand cheff (though western handled).

i think that hd is patterned after the addict. which means it has a bunch of belly and is a knife made for rock chopping.

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    i think that hd is patterned after the addict. which means it has a bunch of belly and is a knife made for rock chopping.
    When I think "extra tall" wa-gyuto, I think Takeda. I think that everyone should own or at least try 1 Takeda. I have a 180mm nakiri which is,IMO, the pinnacle lasers. Not all thin knives cut well, but that nakiri feels "like cheating" as one friend put it. Contrary to it's size and rustic look, its very very thin and light and masterfully shaped: they're able to forge the distal taper and bevel better than many makers grind them. Despite its feathery weight, it still takes next to no effort of complete a cut. Their HT on blue super is also very good: hard and long lasting edge, but still very easy to sharpen and I have yet to see a chip.

I haven't used a gyuto of theirs, but if you want something tall, but also with a smaller belly, I think that a Takeda guyto might be what you're looking for:

(photo courtesy of: http://saltyskitchen.blogspot.com/20...ead-knife.html)
    "I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded

i have two Takeda 240 gyutos, one of which is about 52mm at the heel now (no idea how tall it was new), and the other about 59mm. i love them both. be careful, though, as Takeda does sell lemons sometimes, so buy from a reseller with a return policy, unless you are willing and able to fix problems yourself.

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    My Takeda gyuto is awesome and has a bigger belly than Santa Claus. Definitely a must-try knife.
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

for the high-end gyuto, consider Dave Martell gyuto(55mm wide) & watanabe pro gyuto(54mm wide)!!
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

i like a flatter french style profile. would try a takeda if it were available in a semi or full stainless steel.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin0505 View Post
    When I think "extra tall" wa-gyuto, I think Takeda. I think that everyone should own or at least try 1 Takeda. I have a 180mm nakiri which is,IMO, the pinnacle lasers. Not all thin knives cut well, but that nakiri feels "like cheating" as one friend put it. Contrary to it's size and rustic look, its very very thin and light and masterfully shaped: they're able to forge the distal taper and bevel better than many makers grind them. Despite its feathery weight, it still takes next to no effort of complete a cut. Their HT on blue super is also very good: hard and long lasting edge, but still very easy to sharpen and I have yet to see a chip.

I haven't used a gyuto of theirs, but if you want something tall, but also with a smaller belly, I think that a Takeda guyto might be what you're looking for:

(photo courtesy of: http://saltyskitchen.blogspot.com/20...ead-knife.html)

Demonstrating my ignorance here, but whats the bottom knife..?

Masamoto honyaki.

kochi 240 gyuto is 55mm tall, and the 270 gyuto is 57mm. edipisreks own(ed) both takedas and kochis. im curious how they compare actually. mainly, how different is the geometry?