extra tall konosuke hd?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
looking to try a wa handled gyuto and would love to have a taller blade. anyone have experience with this knife?
also considering sakai yusuke stainless but i already have an aeb knife in takayuki grand cheff (though western handled).

i think that hd is patterned after the addict. which means it has a bunch of belly and is a knife made for rock chopping.

When I think "extra tall" wa-gyuto, I think Takeda. I think that everyone should own or at least try 1 Takeda. I have a 180mm nakiri which is,IMO, the pinnacle lasers. Not all thin knives cut well, but that nakiri feels "like cheating" as one friend put it. Contrary to it's size and rustic look, its very very thin and light and masterfully shaped: they're able to forge the distal taper and bevel better than many makers grind them. Despite its feathery weight, it still takes next to no effort of complete a cut. Their HT on blue super is also very good: hard and long lasting edge, but still very easy to sharpen and I have yet to see a chip.

I haven't used a gyuto of theirs, but if you want something tall, but also with a smaller belly, I think that a Takeda guyto might be what you're looking for:
july+021.jpg

(photo courtesy of: http://saltyskitchen.blogspot.com/2008/07/misono-360mm-stainless-bread-knife.html)

i have two Takeda 240 gyutos, one of which is about 52mm at the heel now (no idea how tall it was new), and the other about 59mm. i love them both. be careful, though, as Takeda does sell lemons sometimes, so buy from a reseller with a return policy, unless you are willing and able to fix problems yourself.

My Takeda gyuto is awesome and has a bigger belly than Santa Claus. Definitely a must-try knife.

for the high-end gyuto, consider Dave Martell gyuto(55mm wide) & watanabe pro gyuto(54mm wide)!!

When I think "extra tall" wa-gyuto, I think Takeda. I think that everyone should own or at least try 1 Takeda. I have a 180mm nakiri which is,IMO, the pinnacle lasers. Not all thin knives cut well, but that nakiri feels "like cheating" as one friend put it. Contrary to it's size and rustic look, its very very thin and light and masterfully shaped: they're able to forge the distal taper and bevel better than many makers grind them. Despite its feathery weight, it still takes next to no effort of complete a cut. Their HT on blue super is also very good: hard and long lasting edge, but still very easy to sharpen and I have yet to see a chip.

I haven't used a gyuto of theirs, but if you want something tall, but also with a smaller belly, I think that a Takeda guyto might be what you're looking for:
july+021.jpg

(photo courtesy of: http://saltyskitchen.blogspot.com/2008/07/misono-360mm-stainless-bread-knife.html)

dt8.JPG

Demonstrating my ignorance here, but whats the bottom knife..?

kochi 240 gyuto is 55mm tall, and the 270 gyuto is 57mm. edipisreks own(ed) both takedas and kochis. im curious how they compare actually. mainly, how different is the geometry?

kochi 240 gyuto is 55mm tall, and the 270 gyuto is 57mm. edipisreks own(ed) both takedas and kochis. im curious how they compare actually. mainly, how different is the geometry?
my kochi 240mm gyuto only 51mm wide....
20130210_184244_zpsc2eb948f.jpg

the Kochi is substantially thinner for much of the blade above the edge, but the Kochi is also thicker at the spine and a good bit heavier, overall. The Takedas are less chip prone than a new Kochi, in my experience, as the grind is more robust, but the Kochi is a better cutter.

the Kochi is substantially thinner for much of the blade above the edge, but the Kochi is also thicker at the spine and a good bit heavier, overall. The Takedas are less chip prone than a new Kochi, in my experience, as the grind is more robust, but the Kochi is a better cutter.

+1 on this. The kochi is a hell of a knife.

I'm totally agree expect I never have chip prone issue with my v2 kochi gyuto! what is your kochi's steel(blue#2 or v2??)

Back