i want to build my own cutting board..mahogony?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomchakabowwow

Reaction score
i salvaged a bunch of mahogany a long time ago. i am not a wood expert. my buddy told me it was teak..err..when i ran it by a friend that was a wood expert, he laughed and told me my teak was actually mahogany. then he made me a custom turkey call with it.

well, i have some left. alot. i'm thinking of turning it into an extra large cutting board. unless you guys tell me mahogany sucks as cutting board material. any opinion on this?

maple and cherry is the usual material that's used for chopping boards. and if you can, get end grain, better for your edges that way.

=D

dunno about mahogany though.

If it is just regular North American Mahogany then you are fine. Some of the exotic stuff is way too hard. The hardness of mahogany is about 840. Hard Maple, which is the standard, is 1400 so it will be a little on the soft side but should work just fine. You may just have to flatten it more than other harder wood boards.

in my country we like to use tamarind wood for chopping boards. kinda hard getting those from where you are, but it's pretty good stuff in my experience.

I remember reading that not all mahogany (there are many) is suitable for a contact with food. Mahogany Dave uses is only one type - when he had a disruption in supply, he discontinued making boards in it for a while.

I would not worry much about softness if you are making an end-grain board. Cherry is probably in the same category, yet makes an excellent board.

Back