Quantcast
What's the limit?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the limit?

What's the limit?

So this week at work, i had a problem with my knives. I sharpen on my days off (chosera 400, 1k, 3k, 8k then strop balsa with chromium oxide). Anyways, i have a shun classic 210 chef knife that i use as a beater, and it was not cutting cleanly through food but instead sliding on carrots and the skin of tomatoes, although i took it to a point where it would shave. Had the same problem with a konosuke hd petty. My question is; is there a specific limit where you can take certain steels? Where would you stop sharpening or stropping to avoid this problem?

Using too many stones can lead to round edges, going with too high of a grit stone in your progression can over polish and round edges, and for sure using chromium oxide (with it's spherical particle shape) to finish will provide a slippery edge.

I'd suggest going no higher than 5k and for a strop use diamond spray as the compound. A medium coarse stone will be refined enough for what you want yet leaves some edge tooth for bite and diamond spray scuffs/scratches the edge to make it even more toothy for even more bite.

Quote Originally Posted by matt_g View Post
    So this week at work, i had a problem with my knives. I sharpen on my days off (chosera 400, 1k, 3k, 8k then strop balsa with chromium oxide). Anyways, i have a shun classic 210 chef knife that i use as a beater, and it was not cutting cleanly through food but instead sliding on carrots and the skin of tomatoes, although i took it to a point where it would shave. Had the same problem with a konosuke hd petty. My question is; is there a specific limit where you can take certain steels? Where would you stop sharpening or stropping to avoid this problem?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqsbO1w8rXE
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    Using too many stones can lead to round edges, going with too high of a grit stone in your progression can over polish and round edges, and for sure using chromium oxide (with it's spherical particle shape) to finish will provide a slippery edge.

I'd suggest going no higher than 5k and for a strop use diamond spray as the compound. A medium coarse stone will be refined enough for what you want yet leaves some edge tooth for bite and diamond spray scuffs/scratches the edge to make it even more toothy for even more bite.
    eeeeenteresting

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post

That alone should be made to a sticky!!

Dave would you be able to explain how using too many stones would round edges?

Stop at the 3k and test the edge on a tomato....this may also help you determine if its technique or polish that is the cause....
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

+1 with no chop.

tomato or paper.

=D

Quote Originally Posted by cclin View Post
    haha well that looked familiar. Thanks dave i'll try that out this week.

+ Reply to Thread