Quantcast
What's the limit? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's the limit?

I'd stick with the #1000 and see how that goes

Quote Originally Posted by stevenStefano View Post
    I'd stick with the #1000 and see how that goes
    Okay will do. I guess I can always drop down if its going nowhere.

[One more post SS you will have made the magic 1000!]

+1 to what SS just said

low/coarse grit stones take off the most metal and until you learn you can do the most damage the quickest
    Shibui - simplicity devoid of unnecessary elements

i finish my double bevel gyutos on a kitayama 8k. before the 8k my progression is usually either 500, 2000, 5k or 1200, 5k. either way, i feel my edge is quite improved from 5k to 8k. i can understand someone not having the interest to go past 5k, and i can understand using as few stones as necessary. but i do feel there is something to be gained by going alittle beyond 5-6k.
    this thread has me rethinking my progression. i think ill just stop at sueriho rika then strop.

Quote Originally Posted by rdpx View Post

I have #240/1000/6000 and had been planning to start my first sharpen with the #1000. Maybe I should drop down to the #240?

240x is pretty aggressive to start with even for me. Also, most of these stones wear real fast which adds another variable that often leads to rounded edges.

Using your 1k to start on a new knife isn't going to get you where you need to go but it sure is a lot safer than that 240x.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    240x is pretty aggressive to start with even for me. Also, most of these stones wear real fast which adds another variable that often leads to rounded edges.

Using your 1k to start on a new knife isn't going to get you where you need to go but it sure is a lot safer than that 240x.
    Hmmm. So you think I need a stone between #240 and #1000?

Well I shall have a go with the #1000 and see if anything happens. Would #240 be too much even if I was very light and gentle with it, or will I just screw up the knife?

Thanks R

Hmmm. So you think I need a stone between #240 and #1000?
    That would be my preference.

Well I shall have a go with the #1000 and see if anything happens. Would #240 be too much even if I was very light and gentle with it, or will I just screw up the knife?
    I tell people that it's safe to use coarse stones if they also use their brains at the same time. What I mean is that if you can keep yourself from going nuts then yes it's OK to use a coarse stone but most people when new to sharpening can't control themselves. They want the results, go super quick, never stop to look and see what they're doing, spend too much time in one section, and don't flatten their stones often enough. If you can get yourself to slow down, stop and check what you're doing often, and keep your stones flat you will be OK.

BTW, I speak from personal experience when I talk about not engaging the brain.

I can get an #800 for a good price nearby, I wonder if that is too close to the #1000 to be worth getting?
    I think I just need to have a go at this knife tomorrow, and then I will have a far better idea of whether I need to buy a new stone.
    The #240 stone is getting very thin anyway, so I will probably need something else before too long.

Gesshin 400. But don't start with that yet. And yes 800 is too close to 1000.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

To get back to the original question, yes. Some steels are not worth refining (the edge) too much regardless of the application. Mostly it's some of the high chromium stuff that is problematic. One thing about sharpening quickly to avoid rounding: You don't build muscle memory without a lot of repetition.