Left Handed Conversions and What is Done

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Korin_Mari

Reaction score
I've noticed a few questions regarding left handed conversions, and that Korin had a few pictures on their services page.

Basically all that is done to convert a right handed knife to a left handed knife is to flip the bevel. I wasn't entirely clear about what the confusion was, but hopefully these pictures will help visualize it.

Suisin_rightyCU_web.jpg

Back side of a knife on a right handed knife.

Suisin_leftyCU_web.jpg

Back side of a knife for a left handed knife.

Left Handed Conversions via Korin's Service:
Left hand conversions for Western style knives are $20 per knife. We guarantee that all knives will be ready for pick up within 7 days, shipping time is not included. We will contact you via phone or email when they are ready to be returned.
http://korin.com/Services/Left-Handed-Conversions

Please feel free to contact me to try out our services. I will be happy to offer you 1 free knife service. All I ask is the shipping fees to and from Korin. :)
If you have any further questions about converting a knife, please let me know and I will try to explain further.

Thanks for reading! :D

well technically if it's a left handed knife now, that no longer becomes the back side and is really the front side for us lefties. but yes, thank you for clarifying.

so you're saying that the right side, where righties cut will become more like the first picture and then the left side becomes more like the left picture?

I think the debate is if simply flipping the bevel messes up the geometry, since the blade face sides don't change; one being flattish, one convexed. I'm a lefty and have played with bevels. If I flip a bevel these days, its usually slight; 60/40'ish....

being a lefty, flipping bevels on western style knives never bothers me half as much as seeing the price tags on left-handed single bevels and the lack of selection! all the knife shops i went to in japan had such a nice spread of knives and then a little glass case for leftys!

As I understand it, by this conversion the edge will get recentered. Most lefties will convex somewhat the left face to reduce sticking, Shouldn't you flatten the right side as well?

As a lefty I only ever sharpen the left side of my knives and generally thin the left a lot and the right a little. Depends on the knife though, with many there ain't much steel to do anything with on the left side

I think its important to state that most knives geometries are right handed, whether the edges are cut for a lefty or righty. Most japanese knives use stock removal only on one side to profile knives. The exceptions are knives that are specifically ground 50/50 or forged to 50/50.

He's in Chicago right now doing demos, but I'll ask him as soon as he gets back. :)

Sorry I was out with the stomach flu for a little while. I'm back now though!

Back