Burnt Chestnut handle from JKI + Masamoto KS -brief review and pics

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WiscoNole

Reaction score
I had been meaning to get an octagon handle put on my beloved Masamoto KS gyuto for quite a while. I wanted something with a nice dark wood (read: not Ho) but didn't want to shell out $100+. When I saw the burnt chestnut handles on JKI for well under $100, I couldn't resist. I got the knife back a couple days ago and I am very happy with the results. The handle is very well made and comfortable. Jon selected a perfect size for my 240 gyuto and the installation seems to be very solid. The BC is different than other woods in that it is naturally textured (see pic of the butt of the handle) and the finish on it highlights that feature. I really like the feel/grip this provides. Needless to say I'm very much looking forward to work today. :knife:

20130210_134323_zpse3b69ca1.jpg

20130210_134218_zpsb616989a.jpg

20130210_134231_zps8d8a37e3.jpg

20130210_134249_zps3732ebe2.jpg

20130210_134453_zpsbcc0fe5b.jpg

Looks great. I'm ordering a few when I get my tax rerun. What size did he choose for your 240?

Looks great. I'm ordering a few when I get my tax rerun. What size did he choose for your 240?
I don't have a ruler handy, but based on a comparison to a 150 petty I'd say it's 145mm. The balance point is the same as it was with the original handle.

i wish i had the resources for a wa conversion on my misono dragon. idk why, it's ridiculous, but seems like a fun idea

Very nice. If they came this way from the factory I would have bought one of these a long time ago.

I just broke in my Yoshikane yesterday, and I agree that the chestnut handles have a great feel to them, kinda warm and fuzzy. But in a really manly way.

i love the blonde ferrule though. on a darker handle like burnt chestnut, that would something i'd like. =D

Back