Quantcast
CarboNext - first sharpening advice.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CarboNext - first sharpening advice.

CarboNext - first sharpening advice.

After a few days using the new Gyuto, I think it is nearly time to give it a proper edge.

Before I do so, I am posting a drawing of what I think I am supposed to be doing with it.

The knife is advertised as being 60/40 and it looks like it is something like that, but the angles of the bevels are probably 20-25*deg, though this is a rough guess.

What I am planning on doing is as shown in the drawing - regrinding the bevel at about 12-15*deg, and then putting a microbevel on that is similar to the angles that are there already [the red line].

What I would appreciate would be if you could tell me:

1. Does this look like I have correctly understood what needs to be done?
    2. Is what I am planning on doing to the main bevel the same as "thinning" the blade?
    3. Approx how many millimetres should I expect to be grinding back up the blade (ie. the distance between current beginning of edge, and what it will be when I am done)

Thank you!

R

That's roughly correct though I may suggest the magic marker trick. Simply paint the edge with a permanent marker and while sharpening be sure that you are abrading from the top of the bevel first then down to the cutting edge. This will take the guesswork/measuring angles out of the equation. Also, keep it simple for a while. Just work on setting clean bevels, refining it a bit and stropping off any burr/wire edges. Don't worry about compound bevels or micro bevels yet. I feel with that knife you may not even need that anyway.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Yes I think you understand it about right. I wouldn't worry about a microbevel though. I wouldn't say you are thinning, no, you're just setting a bevel. In terms of how much bigger the bevels will be, it's pretty hard to say. Everyone basically has "their" angle and I doubt many people even know what theirs is. To be honest I'd forget about putting a number on things, pick an angle and see how the knife performs and then next time you sharpen, make it more or less acute depending on how you liked it

The right bevel should be convexed, not straight. I wouldn't change the left one. A lower left angle doesn't really enhance performance but weakens the edge considerably.

I think you're fine. It's gonna be convex already if you grind it manually. I wouldn't bother with the micro initially. If you decide your edge is too fragile, I would put a micro on only one side and if that was still too fragile for your tastes, then maybe both sides.

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    I think you're fine. It's gonna be convex already if you grind it manually. I wouldn't bother with the micro initially. If you decide your edge is too fragile, I would put a micro on only one side...
    Yes.

I would really suggest not over thinking it. Just put an edge on it. This is one of the easier knives to get good results from.
    -Enjoy the ride. *** All statements made herein are my personal opinion and nothing more, regardless of tone or context. ***

Thanks all - I am trying not to overthink it, it's just that my understandings of all the explanations on here have not been clear. I just want to get the nod on what is in my mind before starting in on my new knife.

So is this drawing more like what I should be aiming for? :

If the edge has stood up well and you want to sacrifice some strength for performance it looks fine to me. Magic marker is your friend when learning to sharpen

Quote Originally Posted by TB_London View Post
    If the edge has stood up well and you want to sacrifice some strength for performance it looks fine to me. Magic marker is your friend when learning to sharpen
    NB: Edge as is is OOTB which I am told is way below what the knife can do.

Quote Originally Posted by rdpx View Post
    Thanks all - I am trying not to overthink it, it's just that my understandings of all the explanations on here have not been clear. I just want to get the nod on what is in my mind before starting in on my new knife.

So is this drawing more like what I should be aiming for? :
    Yes.