Quantcast
le Crueset enameled dutch oven. mine has gotten UGLY.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: le Crueset enameled dutch oven. mine has gotten UGLY.

le Crueset enameled dutch oven. mine has gotten UGLY.

mine is my kitchen work horse. i'm having my personal slow cooking movement. i've deep fried with it..i've used it as my bread baking enclosure. once i put it in my weber grill to bake the bread. yikes.

the interior of mine is down right nasty. blackened. no amount of scrubbing will ever restore this thing to its former off-white interior.

no biggie right? any tips to keeping the next one clean? are your's destroyed from use also? i cant really see any performance downgrade from the black interior.

Fill it with water and add a good amount of baking soda, then boil for a while. Keep doing this and it should come off. I've heard that you might have to alternate between vinegar and baking soda but I've never needed to do that.

The inside of mine is black as night. I'm the same as you, use it for almost everything. I don't mind the black inside, shows its not just a show peice.

I bought a smaller one, and want to keep it looking new, but that's something I'm sure I will get over...
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

IIRC, Le Creuset used to have instructions to use a mixture of bleach and water to clean the inside of its dutch ovens (the website doesn't have this info).

I've also used liquid Bar Keeper's Friend to clean stubborn stains because it seems to be less abrasive and have less of a harmful effect on the interior than powders.

My large-ish Le Creuset white Dutch Oven is kind of an off-white with scratches all over the bottom. One thing I will have to say is that I don't cook beans in them. I haven't figured out if it's the grit with the beans or what, but the interior of my Dutch Oven got rougher and seemed to degrade each time beans were cooked in it.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

I'll do a before and after of the baking soda method for you guys on both the enameled pots and their line of (ceramic?) bakeware. It's pretty amazing.

I would love to see it. I have one that has burnt rice that I just couldn't seem to get out and another that I make fudge in that gets a little darker with every batch. I think my wife might kiss me if I could clean it up.

I am also thinking about this. My Le Creuset does not have the enamal/coating inside. It is only cast iron. Yours are the same?

I've done the bleach thing for years. Fill the pot about 1/2 full with Hot water, add a cup to 1 & 1/2 cups Bleach. Then let sit for about an hour, be sure to rinse super well before storing.

Quote Originally Posted by Patatas Bravas View Post
    I am also thinking about this. My Le Creuset does not have the enamal/coating inside. It is only cast iron. Yours are the same?
    mine is coated with enamel. i think they all are. maybe some are coated with black enamel.

mmm..maybe not the skillets.

Can't wait to see that - mine looks a little funky inside too.

+ Reply to Thread