Magnets

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxim

Founding Member
Reaction score
Ok it might sound silly but i have question :O

Is magnets bad for knives ?? I try to google it but no info there
Do they change something in steel at all ?

all i know is that they get magnetized while being in close proximity after some time.

so i imagine that metal particles will stick to the knife more instead getting left off the stone while sharpening. might be a good thing coz you can wipe it off with a towel and the metal shavings go to the towel. beyond that i have no idea.

If magnets are strong, they will magnetize your knife. You won't notice it for the most part, but if you polish the knife, you will see soot collecting in areas that are magnetized. Other than that, no harm whatsoever.

I have noticed a few of the vintage and antique knives I have bought have a slight magnetic tip. A lot of the older honing steels where magnetic to collect the metal that might come off. My old k-Sab can almost pick up my tongs with the tip

I have not noticed any cheap knives kept on a strip, but I have noticed that some carbons can be quickly magnetized.

Ok why i asking because when i went to Japan all people that i asked did not Recommend use magnet holders for they knives and almost all Pro knife shops did not use them.
Almost all blacksmiths that i asked they also told they are bad for steel :scratchhead: But i really dont know why hehe and they will not explain

I use magnets my self and never noticed any affect at all

The biggest problem I've found are other people. They go "Ooooh pretty" and proceed to yank it off the bar spine first. :bat:

I want to epoxy some nice veneer to mine for a softer surface.

Back