Blue Wednesday

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
Tomorrow will be Blue Wednesday.
I will start adding these blocks to the web store tomorrow afternoon.
Most are Maple Burl with a few quilted Cascara and Sycamore.
All were professionally Dyed and Stabilized by K&G.
Kind of weird, but in a good way. The flash makes them look lighter than they are in real life.

bbb001_zps92df73cc.jpg

Wowie Zowie Scooby!
I think I'm having a flashback!
I'm a sucker for crazy dyed stuff like this.

HA! Just looked thru my collection to decide what goes on my next knife and found several blue dyed redwood pieces from Mark. Hmmmmhhhhhhhhh.

The wood was all dyed the same color of blue but you never know what is going to happen when you dye it.
Some of the blocks show blue, purple and green.

If only there were a reputable person to do a rehandle.... :D

I have added these blocks to the webstore and am working on getting the rest of them added.
The more I look at these blocks the more I like them.
A good way to describe them would be unusual, strange or weird. But in a good way.
I think you guys will like these.

Click on the photo to go to the dyed and stabilized blocks.

Most of these over sized blocks that I just added will yield multiple matching handles.

OK, now for the really unusual pieces. Sycamore and Cascara.
These are all in the store now. Now I can get back to cutting stone bases for M****

I know that nobody here likes Palm but I have to do something with this stuff.
I am just teasing.
The Black Palm turned out great.
The Red Palm is a bit conservative for my taste but fortunately not everyone likes the same things that I like.
Maybe a Red Palm body with Black Palm ferrule and end cap? That might be a cool looking handle.

p001_zps13274f2c.jpg

Looks like just over half of the blue blocks have gone away so far.
Thank you everyone. Several of them went to people here.

Nice pieces, as always, Mark. Not sure I should ask that here, but I have a block of wood that I bought as quilted maple but it might just be cascara. Is there an easy way to tell the difference?Stefan

Snagged a really figured blue. Time for some wood shop tools.

Nice pieces, as always, Mark. Not sure I should ask that here, but I have a block of wood that I bought as quilted maple but it might just be cascara. Is there an easy way to tell the difference?Stefan
The cascara will have a yellow tint that is different than any coloring I have seen with maple. Finer grain and pores and a bit more luster or flash to the figure too. Quilted Cascara is not common. I have only seen it once.

Just got my blue piece of maple and must say that it reminds me of 'starry night,' thanks Mark!

Wow, the maple burl almost looks like a night shot of magma flows!

Back