Damascus Gyuto or Santoku Gift Advice

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kumar

Reaction score
This is for a friend, her Birthday is coming up and she has previously expressed interest in owning a nice Chef's Knife or Santoku. She really likes the look of Damascus knives, so looking for something in that side of things. This will only be used for home cooking, meat and veggies.

I was thinking of the Hattori HD lines but currently they are sold out of the Santoku and 210mm Gyuto on JCK. They don't expect them to be available until end of Feb.

What other recommendations would you have?

Budget is around 200$

Thanks!

These ones are pretty whacked out! No idea what they are like, but JCK generally seems to sell good stuff. They also do them with regular wood handles for $20 less or so [just look through the "Shiki" section]

http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/SHIKIDamascusSeries.html#SHIKIDamascusPremium

These have a pretty damascus effect but go $60 over your budget...

http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/TenmiJyurakuDamascusSeries.html#WIDTH:%20400px;%20HEIGHT:%20184px

You could also google "jck damascus" and you should be able to find all the ones they sell there.....

Let us know what you go for!

Tanaka Sekiso Damascus with blue#2 or ginsanko(silver#3) steel! both steels are better than VG10...if she ok to take care carbon steel go with Blue#2; if she prefer stainless than buy the ginsanko(silver#3). price is all under $200 from santoku to 240mm gyuto. Tanaka Damascus isn't just pretty blade, it really a great cutter with good edge retention and easy sharpening! Tanaka knife's choil maybe little rough, all you need is little work with sand paper.

Email Koki (the owner of JCK) and tell him what you are looking for. He'll find you something. Give it a shot.

This is for a friend, her Birthday is coming up and she has previously expressed interest in owning a nice Chef's Knife or Santoku. She really likes the look of Damascus knives, so looking for something in that side of things. This will only be used for home cooking, meat and veggies.

I was thinking of the Hattori HD lines but currently they are sold out of the Santoku and 210mm Gyuto on JCK. They don't expect them to be available until end of Feb.

What other recommendations would you have?

Budget is around 200$

Thanks!

Thanks for the suggestions! I went for the JCK Inazuma 210mm Gyuto
IN-4.jpg

Looks wise it was good. If she likes it, I will look at a more higher end Damascus next year!

Thanks for the suggestions! I went for the JCK Inazuma 210mm Gyuto
IN-4.jpg

Looks wise it was good. If she likes it, I will look at a more higher end Damascus next year!

It's showing as SOLD OUT - you must have got the last one!!

I did not get the last one :(

Koki just told me they were sold out before my order was processed.

If you are sold on getting that knife (an excellent choice given the preferences you specified) - it's made by Kanetsune Seki. A search for "Kanetsune damascus KC 023" should help.

I like the Tojiharu,that Togi damascus is a nice looking blade at a fair price fr. Korin.I gave my niece a Togiharu Inox thin profile when a 240 cost only 100.00,now they cost more.Her blade has held up well cooking for 2 adults & 3 little ones.It is easy to sharpen too.She loves it,not mentioned much here much but a solid performer.

The Togi is western handle, prefer a wa handle, but I will keep it as an option. Knives do look good.

Is there any relation between the Inazuma and Sakai Takayuki? The blades look identical.

Back