Quantcast
Sharp Story
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sharp Story

Sharp Story

I recently lent TK59 a couple knives to check out.

He sent them back sharpened as promised. When I received them I immediately felt the edge, "yeah, that's sharp". They pushed and pull cut ticket paper, "yeah, that's very sharp. So I broke out the tomatoes.

When I did my usual tests the knives performed very well. It appeared Tinh (TK) widened the right side bevels a bit very precisely. I said to myself, "I bet if I give the Masamoto a good stropping this thing might pass the "weight only test". No other knife has been able to do it.

I stropped on treated split leather, smooth leather, 1 micron boron, .5 chromium, .25 diamond, .25 boron, on balsa. I finished with naked balsa.

The video results are here...http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...php?1066-Sharp

Notes about the differences in our sharpening.

I tend to have less bevel toward the heel of the knife and more bevel near the tip. As I said TK's bevel was precise with a hint of the bevel decreasing on the rounded part going to the tip. It's perfect if you are a frequent rocker. That part of the blade takes a pounding. However I don't rock much which is why I keep a greater bevel in that "sweet spot" near the tip for detail work. But wow, nice job.

This is only the first time I've used one of my knives sharpened by another person. (Other than a new knife. That's 35 years folks.) It feels a little weird and I have to admit feeling a little humbled. (That doesn't happen very often. Can you tell?)

Tinh is our new sharpening champ. Totally amazing.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." --Albert Einstein

I was like..."no way!" Say it isn't true!

Quote Originally Posted by Salty dog View Post
    I was like..."no way!" Say it isn't true!
    I guess when you deal with molecules for a living, you learn how to be precise. :biggrin2:
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." --Albert Einstein

I would love to have someone try out my edges like this, just to get a second opinion.

For a home cook, I think my knife and sharpening skills are far above average...but at the same time, I've never used or seen something sharpened by a Dave or the like. Not that I feel I need to get validation, as I'm very happy with my edges in both sharpness and retention, but it would be cool to see what someone else thought of them.

Way to go though TK...making us non-pros look good!

Thanks for the feedback, Salty. I'm feeling relieved and a bit self-conscious... To be honest, I was sh!tting bricks wondering if the edge passed muster. That's what this forum does to you. Watching Salty's tomato vids really pushed me to a new level of knut. I'm still wondering if the edge holds up the way your normal edges would.

I'll do a few potatoes and try some more tomatoes. That's my rudimentery retention test.

But can it slice thru a sweet potato smoothly without a lot of pressure or wedging...

i'd be worried about sharpening somebody else's knife and probably end up making the bevels less steep than i otherwise would, to make sure i didn't scratch it up. that's impressive on more than one level.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverHaze420 View Post
    But can it slice thru a sweet potato smoothly without a lot of pressure or wedging...
    Better than any other knife I own.