Quantcast
The best three knives for a paleo mama
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The best three knives for a paleo mama

The best three knives for a paleo mama

Hello and thank you for helping a newbie. Soooo I have finally learned to cook after 40 somewhat years and I would like to upgrade my Costco Henkel knives. From what I have read and experienced it seems I really only need three knives - a good paring knife, a good chef knife and a good slicer. So I am looking for recommendations - budget is about $300-500 total. I eat a lot of meat and vegetables (we eat paleo...).

I would love to educate myself more on this forum but with two little ones I just don't have the time. So again, thank you!

Welcome to KKF! Many folks here will be able to help with recommendations. I'd recommend you answer these questions to get the best advice for you:

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...should-you-buy
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

please answer this questionaire:

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...should-you-buy

i would also like to include these two questions:

how do you store your knives?

what kind of cutting board do you use? wood? plastic? glass? stone?

!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

What type of knife(s) do you think you want? Sharp, sexy knives. Knives that say "semi-pro" and "she must know what she is doing"

Why is it being purchased? What, if anything, are you replacing? Replacing Costco Henkel knives. Too many knives, not enough quality

What do you like and dislike about these qualities of your knives already?
    Aesthetics- ehhhh....not sexy
    Edge Quality/Retention-...minimal
    Ease of Use-ok
    Comfort-minimal

What grip do you use? The one Julia Childs teaches - thumb and pointer finger squeezing blade (if you know of a better one, please educate me).

What kind of cutting motion do you use? Not sure how to answer this.

Where do you store them? On a magnetic strip

Have you ever oiled a handle? No

What kind of cutting board(s) do you use? Bamboo

For edge maintenance, do you use a strop, honing rod, pull through/other, or nothing? Nothing, but I can learn

Have they ever been sharpened?yes

What is your budget? $300-500 though cheaper is better

What do you cook and how often? I cook twice a day. We eat paleo so meats and vegetables

Special requests(Country of origin/type of wood/etc)?

Engorged Member
    Types...probably a gyuto and a petty, maybe a parer.
    Brands Suisin, Hattori, Masamoto. All make stainless options.
    "So you want to be a vegetarian? Hitler was a vegetarian and look at how he turned out."

Greetings!

Had to look up paleo diet to know what you were talking about, sounds like it would be good for a knife knut! People will chime in shortly, but the terms may be a bit confusing; gyuto will be used to refer to a chef's knife, sujihiki will be the same as slicer. For your budget you can get some great replacements. As to sharpening, most here are proponents of doing it yourself--a small investment in stones and effort will yield the sharpest knives you or your friends have ever used--and any issues can be worked through with help when you have questions.

Do you like a heavy or lighter knife (guessing that your Henckels are fairly light if they are from Costco)? Do you want a traditional western handle or would you be comfortable trying a wa (usually octagonal, round or D-shaped)?

Finally, where you are located? If you are lucky, you may be near a shop where you can at least try out some handles and get a good idea for length you would prefer. FYI, most J-knives will be measured in mm, so the general size for a gyuto will be either 210 or 240 while the sujihiki will likely be 240-270 depending on preference.

Cheers!
    one man gathers what another man spills...

I think it's also important to not think just in terms of knives you want, but of your overall "cutting system". If you buy quality Japanese knives, you need to think about an appropriate cutting board, a least a Japanese combination sharpening stone and a sharpening instructional DVD. Budget for them appropriately. Buying 4 good quality Japanese knives (chef's or "gyuto", slicer or "sujihiki", utility or "petty" and a parer) from Tojiro DP or Fujiwara FKM (both excellent brands to begin with) will cost you about $280. A good quality 2"x12"x18" maple cutting board from www.theboardsmith.com will be $115 shipped. A combination 1000/6000 grit Japanese sharpening stone and instructional DVD is about $100 from www.japaneseknifesharpening.com (the owner of this forum, Dave Martell, incidentally). The online retailer for the knife brands can be easily found using Google.

BTW if you do a lot of boning out of your own meat, you might consider a Japanese boning knife "honesuki" instead of the utility knife.

Welcome to the insanity and Good Luck with your initial purchases!

Starting off you need:
    Gyuto 210mm-240mm
    Petty 150mm
    Pairing 65mm-105mm

Maybe Suisin Western Inox is a good place to start?

After that, maybe think about the tojiro itk bread knife.

Of course you have to consider stones for maintenance as well.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Engorged Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    Starting off you need:
    Gyuto 210mm-240mm
    Petty 150mm
    Pairing 65mm-105mm

I like this. Keep it simple.
    "So you want to be a vegetarian? Hitler was a vegetarian and look at how he turned out."

Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    Starting off you need:
    Gyuto 210mm-240mm
    Petty 150mm
    Pairing 65mm-105mm

+1 to the Suisin, but paleo is no bread so she can skip the bread knife and instead maybe buy a combination stone.
    one man gathers what another man spills...