Thread: Question to photography people...

Question to photography people...

I was given a couple Mamiya medium format cameras, several lenses and other things all in pristine (some are new I'm assuming) condition w/boxes, manuals, etc. to sell. Probably a $2000-$3000 worth of stuff I'm assuming, but I don't know the best place to sell it all. Are there any photography people on here that know of an active forum where this sort of stuff is commonly exchanged? I did some google searches and one lens for example is listed on average around $1000...

Thanks!

eBay, even with all its controversy and problems, is still the market that will expose your items to the most potential buyers.

Try dedicated camera forums. Fredmiranda.com probably has the best alternative buy/sell and membership for a year is less than the PP fees on a single sale.
    Who you jivin' with that Cosmik Debris?

here is my take. i just sold my Hasselblad. IMHO, this is the gold standard of medium format stuff.

demand is way down. there are a few collectors that are still buying, but it was difficult to find. i went with Craigslist. the collectors really want to kick the tires before buying. keep in mind, they know their stuff.

if i were doing it over again, i would go old school and put up a flyer at the local art/photography school.

photography-on-the.net/forum, Fredmiranda.com, ebay

I'd agree: FM, POTN, eBay, Craigslist. Especially since you presumably don't have feedback/history on the photo forums, Craigslist might be a good start.

What kind of Mamiya stuff, btw? In medium format, the 645 bodies have taken the biggest hits in value -- largely because they were most useful to working wedding/portraiture pros, who have almost entirely switched to digital. The rangefinders (esp. the M7) are holding up better, since nothing really approximates what they can do.

Isn't POTN Canon only?
    Who you jivin' with that Cosmik Debris?

Mostly, but there's some bleedthrough.

Really, FM is the best. The only caveat is that it takes some time to build up a reputation (as it does anywhere). With or without a history on a site, the key to successful is really good clear descriptions, photographs, fair prices, and good communication. Presumably just as it is here.

er, "key to successful transactions"....