Quantcast
Some advice from the experienced "flippers" among you? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Some advice from the experienced "flippers" among you?

Start using it immediately and get on a couple wait lists for some of the custom makers here this way buy the time you realize you love and and really want some higher quality pieces you won't have to wait as long to get them.

Quote Originally Posted by Timthebeaver View Post
    Why do you think that a Gengetsu, or Heiji for that matter - will be "better" than your yoshikane?
    Solely based on what has been said by others who've had their hands on a much broader sampling of knives than I have.

Having owned a few gyutos I rate the Zensho-Yoshikane SKD very highly. Having a knife and not using it, and comparing it to other knives you have not used seems bonkers to me (no disrespect intended).

Quote Originally Posted by Chefdog View Post
    Solely based on what has been said by others who've had their hands on a much broader sampling of knives than I have.
    that is what I meant when I said it ain't the same as you trying them, their experiences are their experiences. Some like Heiji but no Gengetsu, some like Gengetsu bt no Heiji, then there are alot that like Sigefusa, many like Yoshikane, then there is Masamoto, Takeda etc. Just have to go trough a bunch to get the idea. It ain't cheap but lightly used knives resell for @ a great value.
    As far as your yo vs wa handle, I too came from yo handle to wa, and I find wa handles a lot more comfortable, they allow more freedom in the grip IMO.

i've owned a Kitaeji Yoshikane in V2, and i own a Gengetsu and two Heijis. the Gengetsu and the Heijis are better cutters, for me, but the Yoshikane was a really nice knife, and was made as well as the Heijis (the Gengetsu doesn't have quite the attention to detail that the Yoshi and the Heijis have, but is otherwise excellent). i personally just wish it had been fatter or thinner, it was in the same middle ground as the Hontanren Mizunos. a lot of people like that middle ground, and the Yoshikane definitely held its edge about as well as any non-honyaki carbon i've used, and wasn't quite as chip prone as my Heijis. it also wasn't as thin behind the edge as my Heijis, but it was nicely thin behind the edge.

Quote Originally Posted by mainaman View Post
    that is what I meant when I said it ain't the same as you trying them, their experiences are their experiences. Some like Heiji but no Gengetsu, some like Gengetsu bt no Heiji, then there are alot that like Sigefusa, many like Yoshikane, then there is Masamoto, Takeda etc. Just have to go trough a bunch to get the idea. It ain't cheap but lightly used knives resell for @ a great value.
    As far as your yo vs wa handle, I too came from yo handle to wa, and I find wa handles a lot more comfortable, they allow more freedom in the grip IMO.

+1

What matters is that you are comfortable with the knife. I like my Sugimoto gyuto a lot. That probably puts me in the minority here.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I think what I was attempting, evidently unsuccessfully, to get at was not Yoshikane vs Heiji/Gengetsu/etc, but the cost/benefit of experimenting with an affordable knife and later upgrading, or just buying the high end knife right off the bat.

you could just keep the yoshikane and use it for the things its good at, while purchasing another gyuto that maybe better suited for other things. diversify!

Thanks for all the replies guys. I think what I was attempting, evidently unsuccessfully, to get at was not Yoshikane vs Heiji/Gengetsu/etc, but the cost/benefit of experimenting with an affordable knife and later upgrading, or just buying the high end knife right off the bat.
    Cost/benefit of experimenting depends on you. Do you like to experiment? Are your tastes very particular? Do you know what you already want?

I like using different knives, and there is definitely a cost to it. If you are active on BST, it's much less expensive (but Maksim's Deal of the Day is a bargain). And if you get on a pass around, it's even less expensive.

Based on your questions, looks like The hekler and labor of love's recommendation is good. Use the Yoshikane while on the wait list for your ultimate knife. Though if you're me, you'd continue to acquire along the way :P

i very much wish i had waited on buying a Shig, as i was not ready to really take care of it, even though i was pretty decent at sharpening by that point. not that i'm saying this is your case, but wa knives, especially forged handmade wa knives, tend to be rather different from typical yo knives in construction and what they need to stay in tip-top form.