Japanese Knives Messing around with the hamon on a honyaki Masamoto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBroida

KKF Vendor
Founding Member
Reaction score
We're re-handling this knife here in the store, and i was cleaning it up... i thought it might be fun to play around with the polish a bit and bring out the hamon in an interesting way...

some pictures of the results:
823583_10151330326743860_1798559800_o.jpg

823586_10151330326748860_1153182129_o.jpg

You have my attention.

Mine is so in need of the spa.

just using some stones/powders that work well for polishing softer steel but not harder steel... thats it

what stones and powders! Jacob as a honyaki, now, so Jacob needs to know. :)

In the spirit of sharing, here's a link to a youtube video where a knifemaker polishes out a hamon. Long story short:

1.vinegar etch
2. polish with 5 micron aluminum oxide powder in water with a hard rubber block
3. lemon juice etch
4. repeat #2
5. polish with 8k (1 micron) micro-mesh.

At around 17:30 he shows the finished blade, and it will knock your socks off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFBLM2P5y78

just using some stones/powders that work well for polishing softer steel but not harder steel... thats it

Translation:
Just some ancient runes/fairy dust and magic incantations that work well for frustrating anyone that will every try to imitate my bad-arsery. :razz:

I don't know what's more amazing the job you did polishing to reveal the hamon or the craftsmanship of such a detailed hamon in the first place. Keep your secrets to yourself you have a business to run and it will only add to your mysticism when all of us here try and duplicate your results and fail.

Jon,

Why don't both of my Honyaki's look like this?!?! I am at your shop to often for you to play with other knives like that! Is it the patina on my knives that made you think twice? haha The knife looks amazing.... That isn't the masamoto honyaki you had in shop when I was there last is it?!?

-Chuck

It's the one you saw with the handle I was going to remove... I can do this to yours if you want

Sexy! I'm envisioning a Davis W2 gyuto with a polish like that...I just wet myself.

Back