Quantcast
Why can my knife cut paper but not food?

Thread: Why can my knife cut paper but not food?

Question Why can my knife cut paper but not food?

Hi all,

I am a total newbie at sharpening knives. I thought I would get my wife some really good kitchen knives and invested in some Misono UX10's. Not knowing anything about knives (other than reading lots of good reviews about them) and before long they could no longer cut anything. So I ordered a CD on knife sharping from this site and ordered three stones from this site (500x, 1200x, 5000x) and went to work. It seems I was doing good because I was able to raise the bur and all that and when I finished the knife would cut paper so here I am thinking that I'm awesome and stuff. Then I give the knife to my wife and it still won't cut the veggies. So ... what am I doing wrong???

tx!

I'll let the more knowledgeable guys ask you questions and try to give specific advice...but I would suggest this is good background for starting to understand this:

Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Either running (see above post) or a wire edge. Not sure about the steel in UX-10's, but some stainless are notoriously hard to deburr.

Cheers
    one man gathers what another man spills...

Yeah it's likely a wire edge or a slick rounded edge. I'm betting on the wire since I find UX10s tough to deburr cleanly.

Ugghh ux10's I'm now adding them to my axis of evil knives including Shun and Global!!!
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

eamon's is a subject that more applies to synthetics. natural stones give a very different edge even on a high grit.

Had ux10s loved them easy to sharpen never once had a problem with burr even when a novice sharpener.

But it does sound like a wire edge or rounded edge.

I found out early that poor stropping technique did much more damage to my edges than taking them to a high grit. Too obtuse of an angle while stropping + the minute amount of give in the substrate will quickly round edges taken to a high polish on the stones. I feel like it takes more error and time on the stops to round a coarser edge. The inherent quality of having larger "teeth" makes it harder to render the edge useless on the strops. Just an idea.

There are a number of ways to round an edge,I think it is one of the most common mistakes

even with sharpening less is more =D