Quantcast
Question/Opinion from Salty Dog - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Question/Opinion from Salty Dog

The machi and tang don't seem much shorter than the handle so there isn't a ton of wood on the top or bottom of the tang. The blade is thin where it enters the handle so when I'm giving it a good work out I can feel some flex and movement in the handle. I have found this on a knife from another maker as well.

The profile is much different on Stephan's other knife but the grind is similar.

The Masamoto is a really nice knife in all respects but I especially like the profile. If I had to criticize it, I'd say the handle is smallish and generally unremarkable adn the tip strikes me as delicate. The Mizuno honayaki in blue is a veritable beast and nearly indestructible compared to some of the other highly regarded knives yet it performs like a much thinner knife. I think it's a combination of the polish and the grind. It was a pleasure to wield this knife. The only negative I can think of other than the way it cracks hard veggies due to thickness is the aesthetics of the handle. It just doesn't look right and the handle is again, nothing special although it's big and I liked that. The Mizuno has really made me rethink my attitude regarding thicker knives. With regard to Stephen's knives, his work is evolving rapidly, it seems. He clearly has some skill and knows his steel (His passaround blade made of W2 seems to love to take an incredibly fine edge.). If you can tell him exactly what you want, I wouldn't be surprised if his knife exceeded your expectations especially considering the price.

Thanks for all the input... Tk how wud u compare ease of sharpening of the masamoto and mizuno? considering one is blue and the other white did u notice any difference in the effort it takes to sharpen? i have blue and white spred thru out what knives i have and ive never really had an issue except when sharpening my honyaki yanagi when it hit bone in a filet and it chipped. I tried to work the knife to remove the chip and after a session decided i cud live with it and will let the chip work its way off as i sharpen over time... so far ive put that knife to the stones maybe 6-8 times as it is not a daily use yanagi and im barely making a dent on the chip and the blade road is taking a while to even out as well b4 i can even think of putting any hamaguriba besides maintaining what was on ther already... how thick is Scots Mizuno if i may ask? would it compare to a shigefusa gyuto? in the sense that it seems thick at the handle and tapers well but in use it is actually acts thinner, im under the impression that heiji gyuto is the same way..

Ease of sharpening: I'm not sure I'm the best one to ask since I love sharpening but the Masamoto was very easy to sharpen. I can't say I thought the Mizuno was difficult though. I didn't try to get rid of any chips though (there weren't any to work out). The burr I made on it was TINY.
    Thickness: I haven't seen a Shigefusa gyuto but it is much thicker than my Shigefusa Nakiri and my 240 Heiji. It tapered down a lot but if I recall correctly, it was still at least as thick as the Heiji near the tip. The Heiji does cut great much like the Mizuno but I might still say that the Mizuno went through more easily. The grind on the Miz is really nice and makes up for a lot and the polish helps a lot as well. When I polish up the sides of other knives, the resistance dramatically decreases.

Tk what heiji do u have? is it a swedish carbon or the semi stainless? how do those knives perform. i have a 150mm heiji ikasaki basically a petty yanagi and love the steel, i was also looking at a 270mm Heiji from Jon JKI but was a little worried because it seemed thick and ran larger than a 270mm,

I have the Heiji carbon gyuto and its amazing. Its beefy but thin behind the edge. His grind he does is fantastic and the steel is very easy to sharpen. It seems to stay sharp long but I like to touch up my knives almost daily.(unless I'm lazy. good reason to have so many knives)

I've only tried the semistainless. Edge-taking is excellent and retention might be the best I've tried for the type of edge I like to use. As Matt mentioned, the grind is excellent. I haven't had it too long but I can say that it is rapidly becoming my favorite non-laser-type gyuto. I still like my KonHD a lot though. I have absolutely nothing negative to say about the blades.

Thanks for all the input guys, helps a lot but makes making a decision tougher

I am flabbergasted that you can maintain the ability to type like that with such consistency. Is it possible to feel old in your 20s? Perhaps I'll try translating this thread tomorrow, it seems informative.

I cant understand the op he thinks he is texting i guess. I am very glad i went to hs and college before cellp hones and texting became prevalent... everyone makes typographical errors, not everyone creates their own language because they cannot spell. It is a scurge on the net.