Quantcast
Question/Opinion from Salty Dog - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Question/Opinion from Salty Dog

sorry to type my replies like im texting, ive been overseas the last couple months working on opening up my restaurant and out here the main method of communication is txt messages so u get used to typing that way in a hurry, when i first moved back down here i had no idea what the hell most of the txt i received said... u learn to adapt really fast when cell phone minutes cost a fortune its almost like half a dollar a minute out here, txting on the other hand is really cheap, its ridiculous... will try to keep the replies legible from now on

Quote Originally Posted by Salty dog View Post
    The machi and tang don't seem much shorter than the handle so there isn't a ton of wood on the top or bottom of the tang. The blade is thin where it enters the handle so when I'm giving it a good work out I can feel some flex and movement in the handle. I have found this on a knife from another maker as well.

The profile is much different on Stephan's other knife but the grind is similar.

I've actually had to seriously alter some techniques to get the blade as thin as I want and it's caused issues with the machi area, I think I'm getting it pretty well figured out though

handles are something I have ALWAYS struggled with as I have really big hands (and swing a 4Lb hammer for fun) so I don't register fatigue the way you guys would and I've been getting input from Dave and the passarounds to improve my handle shaping and sizes.

The handle on the hybrid is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jameson View Post
    It is a scurge on the net.
    scourge
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by Salty dog View Post
    The handle on the hybrid is nice.
    And I like the handles on the canarywood set I have, Stephan.

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    And I like the handles on the canarywood set I have, Stephan.
    still waiting for some patina shots

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    scourge
    I was about to say. You are not exactly the best speller and that wasn't the best put together post to criticize the way someone else types.

Quote Originally Posted by ms4awd View Post
    sorry to type my replies like im texting, ive been overseas the last couple months working on opening up my restaurant and out here the main method of communication is txt messages so u get used to typing that way in a hurry, when i first moved back down here i had no idea what the hell most of the txt i received said... u learn to adapt really fast when cell phone minutes cost a fortune its almost like half a dollar a minute out here, txting on the other hand is really cheap, its ridiculous... will try to keep the replies legible from now on

No big deal really, I just thought I'd let you know. This really is an informative thread!

I would advise you talk to Stephan. Let him know exactly what you want the knife to do. Be demanding! He seems a type to love a challenge, and you can only make him better with your input. Plus he's American, as I am assuming you are, and keeping it domestic is always a plus to me.

Yes as much as i love japanese knives i wud like to support american blade smiths and also up and coming knife makers but having variety is great as well. I am speaking with stephan about what i am looking for in a knife and i hav a feeling it will come out great. Im glad Scott and TK gave great input on the knives i was looking at and also scot for sharing his honest opinion on the mizu from stephan, i think that input will only make the knife i get even better designed...

Quote Originally Posted by StephanFowler View Post
    still waiting for some patina shots

Stephan,

I had to wait for some decent light, but here's a few patina pics of the canarywood set:

Rick

+ Reply to Thread