Quantcast
Question/Opinion from Salty Dog
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Question/Opinion from Salty Dog

Question/Opinion from Salty Dog

Hi Scott

i wud like ask 4 ur opinion thru PM but 4 some reason i am not allowed to PM in the site... Anyways i was just wondering if u could give me ur opinion on 3 knives that u have as i am in the market to possibly acquire one of these. Masamoto HOnyaki gyuto, Mizuno Honyaki Wa Gyuto and DX honyaki wagyuto... Just wanted to c how u wud compare each. Maybe u can initiate the PM if u are willing to give me ur opinion it wud be greatly appreciated. I was also considering a Gyuto from Stephan Fowler as he has recently responded to my inquiry, been really wanting a honyaki wa gyuto though. Thanks

Big differences. Maybe TK can respond as well. I lent him the Masamoto and the blue dx Mizuno.

First, it's my understanding that the 240 Mizuno's being made now are thinner and lighter than the originals. (mine) The Mizuno is a beefy knife with a superb grind and polish. It can withstand a helluva a beating. A bit thick behind the edge but because of the grind it's still a great cutter.

The Masamoto is 50 grams lighter than my blue Mizuno. It's a cutting machine. Despite it's light weight it's a sturdy knife. It also runs long. The 240 is 263mm where as the Mizuno is 229mm.

If I just want to have fun cutting stuff up I grab the Masamoto. If I have a heavy day ahead of me, it will be the Mizuno.

Thanks for the insight, how wud u rate the edge holidng of the masamoto honyaki? Is it typical w2, gets scary sharp then kind of falls off or does the honyaki forging make edge holding better? i have honyaki yanagi in w2 and it gets super sharp and holds the edge really well but maybe its because its main function is fish and hardly makes any hard impact on a board. As far as cutting style i use push or pull cut in technique i dont really pinch grip or rock having being trained by a japanese chef when i first started working proffesionaly. How wud u rate stephan fowlers mizu, i am inquiring about one from him also, seems to be a great alternative in the sense that i can have it done to my spcs as far as length and stuff and the handle would be with nicer wood which is a plus... what about the masamoto vs mizu in white? Thanks again

The White honyaki has similar properties of regular white. Edge retention is improved and the edge is sturdy. I use it for squash without thinking twice. I haven't used the white Mizuno much because it was the larger of the two knives and I really like blue DX. If I could have the Masamoto in Mizuno's blue it would be perfect. Alas, I've tried to get Mizuno to make me a thin honyaki similar to Masamoto's but they either won't or can't.

Sounds to me you should be looking hard at the Masamoto. It's also long at 263mm as opposed to Mizuno's 229.

Stephan's Mizu holds an edge for a very long time but I'm having issues with the geometry, profile and handle on mine.

what sort of geometry issues r u having with the mizu? is it the grind? or blade shape, how does the blade shape compare to the mizuno or masamoto... how is the balance of his mizu? i am talking to stephan about possibly a mizu in w2 also but using shigefusa or heiji blade shape as the basis... my first instinct was also the masamoto bec of the length, but koki informed me both mizuno are available again thats why i asked. also saw Jons teaser for blue 1 honyaki and thats intrigues me as well... going the custom route with stephan definitely will allow me to get a great deba on top of it as well as i do a ton of fish butchery, because of cost compared to the japanese honyakis, did either masamoto or mizuno ever mention if they are water quenched or oil quenched honyaki? thanks

It's thin and relatively flat. Tall large blade. I knew all that going in. I wanted to check out a couple of his knives. The flexibility is an issue and I can feel it in the handle.

If he's going to be using different geometry with the W2 it would have great potential.

I really like the profile and handle on his other knife that I have. A 240 52100 with a hybrid handle. His machi's tend to be on the tall side making the handle tall.

i have a Mizuno hontranten 270 made in March of this year, and it's about 3mm at the spine above the heel, has a strong taper towards the edge and the tip. and isn't thick at all behind the edge. i haven't seen an older Mizuno, but i would say that you are correct that they have changed their geometry, if they used to be beefy knives.
    Last edited by EdipisReks; 05-09-2011 at 11:28 AM. Reason: my brain wasn't working this morning.

The honyaki is an anomaly. I have an older 240 that I was hoping the new knives would be similar to. (It is my mostly used knife) They were but the dimensions seemed almost double.

thanks for feedback on the mizuno as i was leaning that route b4 talking to stephan, need more thought b4 deciding, is ur second knife from Stephan hav the same grind? when u said u cud feel the flex on the handle what exactly did u mean? is it from the blade being 2 thin and the machi and tang possibly thicker, like twisting when using the knife? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Salty dog View Post
    The honyaki is an anomaly. I have an older 240 that I was hoping the new knives would be similar to. (It is my mostly used knife) They were but the dimensions seemed almost double.
    are the honyakis made by the same smith?