Hi Everyone

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juicy Pirate

Reaction score
Hi Guys
Been reading this forum for ages, Its always a great go to source for me before I buy knives.
I work as Marine Chief Chef/Pastry Chef/Baker for several large multinational companies.
I work in the offshore and coastal construction industry, coastal bulk cargo distribution, and offshore tanker sector.
Can be at sea for weeks at a time so good knives and tools are essential, also packing light for those chopper flights is always a challenge. Do i take that 2 pound cleaver or do i pack more socks.
Have some Japanese knives, they are always a great backup when my main knife has taken a beating, but just love the feel of my FDicks that and i can say to other chefs when they touch my knives. "Get your hands of my Dick"
Sorry kitchen humour
That along with the fact that you just gotta baby those Japanese knives so much, someones always trying to stick them in a dishwasher when i not looking, or they get knocked of the bench and im just not good at drying stuff. Better not speak to loud im sailing to Japan as i type.
So any tips on what to get next guys?
Love a good knife off...

Welcome. Sounds like you'll fit right in here. One thing though, there are plenty of Japanese knives that you don't have to baby. Some of the knife makers here make knives especially designed for the commercial kitchen - made to take a beating. Not good at drying stuff - go stainless. One thing you will know for sure, your wallet will get a good workout.

Greetings! The new semi-stainless steels seem to be getting popular here as well and may be a good fit.

Cheers!

Welcome! The thought of someone putting my knives in the dishwasher makes my teeth ache:) Kikuichi makes a great stainless, Warikomi Elite. Its my "this knife gets fairly abused throughout 18-hr shifts and stays sharp for a long time with only a ceramic honing rod" go-to. That being said, if you have the funds, buy something from one of the craftsmen on this forum... you'll get a more personalized experience, not to mention a more personalized cutting tool:)

Welcome.... one of my favorite ham slicers is an F.Dick. .

Back