Quantcast
Why is this guy a knucklehead? - Page 5
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is this guy a knucklehead?

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Chewie's the man.

Quote Originally Posted by Salty dog View Post
    If your customers arrive at your business in a limousine you'll go home in a bus. If your customers arrive in a bus you'll go home in a limousine. I think that's his philosophy on some of his knife lines.
    Poetic

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    As for the opening thread. When you have a really sharp knife and it may stick in the board you wont need to push as hard as he does when he gets to the back of the blade. I'm sorry if doing a video you want to know exactly what you are getting in for. He should have cut with it before hand, and fixed it so he had no problems. I think he did sharpen it first, and is just using the person before as a scapegoat.
    Chewie's the man.

Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    I had to google this to understand the meme...wasn't familiar with the term "wabi-sabi"...nor it's apparent misuse.

Good work.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Ouch. I didn't notice the overgrind near the tip.

In those pictures, the bevel on the heel area seems to be more of a product of a thick grind, than overgrind? Am I seeing that correctly?
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

There's a decent chance the wavy bevel is purely inconsistencies in the blade's actual grind. I wouldn't be surprised if the knife has multiple overgrinds, and was sharpened on a jig, or sander with an angle set on it. With all if that being said, I've dealt with Mark a few times and I've always been pleased with the way things went about. I don't think he's out to screw anyone, but this is his way of making a living. It's a tough balancing act, and I'm glad I'm not directly involved with the situation.

As for how to fix this issue (which was asked), you'd have to fix the grind of the knife, by matching the high and low spots along the knife. In other words, you'd have to thin the whole knife, reset a bevel and start all over. It's a pain in the ass.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Wow, the thread has gotten out of hand, so I am sure it will be locked fairly soon. Salty, great comment. I used to ride the hound.

Knyfe, I applaud the olive branch extended -- too bad that same branch was inserted into your back end.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    mhlee

The truth is that and there is no president for it as far as I know. It's certainly not me. GFY!

I'm sorry you had some bad experiences with Mark. Sounds like you did well to start shopping elsewhere.

Good luck!
    What "truth" are you talking about now?

And yes, I am doing much better shopping elsewhere. That's why I'm here. My choice was not made because of emotion or "sides" - my choice was made based on the people who had/would sell me good products and provide good customer service.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Looking at the video, if it was impartial it would be a good video, but it most certainly isn't. This guy has his own line of knives for that vendor, so he is far from neutral. I some ways it is actually a pretty decent video, but it is flawed from the start because he is basically a salesman.

He also made a "review" video of his own knife
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono