Quantcast
Shopping again!! - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Shopping again!!

I have had zero issues with rust/odor transferance on the CN. In my experiance the edge on the CN last longer than on the FKM.

Regarding stones, why not stop at the Rika 5k? I am not any sort of award winning chef, but on my work knives I use a 1200, the rika 5k, then strop on CO loaded balsa. Really no need to go to 10k.

At home on the other hand, taking it to the high grit stones is just plain fun.

I know you said stainless but slicing meat with carbon is so much fun! Get the Fujiwara FKH!

Once again, I'm going to side with Seb.
    I heart the FKHs!
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Thanks, mate. I get such a kick from that blue/rainbow meat patina!

OP, you can just wipe it down and forget about it. If rust appears, just sand it off with Flitz or a fine abrasive. Then again, I have never seen rust on either of my FKHs - can't say the same for my other (purer) carbons - just had to remove some tiny specks from my Masamoto HC using Simichrome and paper towel. Also, the other good news is that these simple SK4 carbon steel knives will take a lot of abuse and laugh - mine fly straight through small bones and gristle like they're not even there - if you run into something that's too hard, it will barely ding. These things are almost impossible to chip - they usually roll or wave.

Imo, cheap carbon really is the very best available option for raw meat slicing.

Have you ever tried autosol? I wanted to try it out on my FKH and swede.
    Sorry to change the subject...
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

It's alrite lefty. I don't mind
    Seb: I don't know how will a slicer with a patina fare with the food authorities here, especially as the Suji will be handling cooked meats for presentation. They'r kinda strict with the HACCP stuff and all. But I'm kinda keen on it, just to add to the collection lol.
    I also would like to know the stones that you guys use. Just as a guide to building up my own stuff.

i would go for the carbon because if you do slice a lot of proteins, your patina will be much more subtle and not as fast as if you cut up two cases of tomatoes or something with much more acid. my sweedish carbon misono suji got a lot of protein work and got a wonderful looking patina but when i took it off with BKF and used it for prep which included mostly vegetables, it got a dark black patina and stained food and had the odor quite a bit more.

as far as stones go i use different stones depending on the knife but my main set is:
    beston 500
    blue aoto 2k
    arashiyama 6k

i also have a bester 1200, suehiro rika 5k and a kitayama 8k that i use only for finishing the kitayama.

my opinion would be get something in the 5k or 6k range. SS are great but might be a little advanced. my advice is to learn how to use that 1k/3k stone first and build from there. sharpening is more about the technique and there is no point spending a bunch of money and worrying about stones until you practice a bit

I would allways go with carbon when slicing meat. The Fujiwara FKH (which i own) is a fantastic value and performing slicer and would reccomend it highly.

As far as stones go, i would finish with the suehiro 6k http://www.fine-tools.com/suehiro-stones.html Theres really no need for 10k stones in a pro kitchen.

Snips:
    Yeah I agree that SS are maybe outta my league right now. Already scratched up my Hiro pretty bad lol. How's the Arayashima working for you?

Aphex
    I do agree that a 10k stone is not a need in a pro kitchen haha the only one we have in the kitchen is a mid grit silicon carbide one that the chef bought for general use. Its just in there u know for some feedback purposes.

Between a FKH and a CN, which would you guys choose?

For a sujihiki, i would go with the FKH. I think it has a better profile than the CN, it gets sharper than the CN and it's cheaper than the CN.

Also, with the money you save, you can put it towards a new stone.