Quantcast
Shopping again!! - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shopping again!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    I'm thinking about getting a CN suji for my dad. He loves my knives, but I have a hard time convincing him that all the extra care that carbon requires is worth it. Will a CN suji survive sitting on a cutting board after slicing raw meat for half an hour or will it end up a rusty mess? Patina is fine, but if he has to clean up rust all the time he won't use it. I might end up just getting him a Fujiwara or Tojiro stainless suji instead, but if the CN fairly rust resistant I can probably convince him to give it the extra care it deserves.
    The patina on mine resulted from cutting onions on and off over about a forty five minute period, without rinsing or wiping (I'm usually a lot more diligent, but it was Easter and I had a million things going on at once). I was too lazy/preoccupied to walk across the kitchen and grab a gyuto. The patina is really very mild. I've never heard that the CN's were prone to rust at the drop of a hat, and I'd be surprised if it developed rust after a half hour of cutting proteins.

Quote Originally Posted by Aphex View Post
    For a sujihiki, i would go with the FKH [...] it gets sharper than the CN and it's cheaper than the CN.
    I personally don't agree with this comment.

Fuijwaras are sweet (had 2-FKHs and 2-FKMs) and I agree with the better profiles on them..but the CarboNext can take a wicked edge and it will also hold it longer (which I thought was a priority for Mel too)

I'm torn.
    If it's just used for slicing, then profile won't matter quite as much, but if it will become a bit of a line knife/ multi-tasker, I would say a flatter edge will be more beneficial. In which case, I'd go FKH.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

I am going to agree with Caddy. The FKH, although a good knife does not hold its edge as long as the CN. I would still have to stick with the CN on this one.

I am personally only 50% satisfied with the fit and finish on my Fuji's (one good, one bad), but the fit and finish on the CN was solid.
    Last edited by kalaeb; 05-10-2011 at 04:23 PM. Reason: mis-spelled word

Just get a Pierre custom. Problem solved!
    09/06

I hate to drag another person into this, but I have a feeling Pen Tiger would have some useful input.
    Another option might be to contact jon and ask about the kanemasa sujis. A member at my other favorite forum just got one and it looks SWEET!
    Oh wait, you're in Singapore, right? I'm not sure what shipping would be like....
    09/06

:biggrin2:Photos if you please!!!

I wish I could, but the other site is down for some upgrades....
    09/06

Quote Originally Posted by MadMel View Post
    Snips:
    Yeah I agree that SS are maybe outta my league right now. Already scratched up my Hiro pretty bad lol. How's the Arayashima working for you?
    i wouldn't say that they are out of anyones league, just that they may be a bit more advanced and that a bit of practice may be in order before you get further. another reason would be maybe you enjoy using only one stone (quite a few people here and where i work do this) and if that works for you, then great. dont worry about the scratches (lol you should see my hiromoto 240mm AS), they show you are learning AND that you sharpen your own knives which is more than most people. the aesthetics are not as important (to me at least) than the end result. you will get there and hopefully you get the stones and knives you want along the way!!

as far as the arashiyama goes, i love it for my finishing stone. it leaves a wonderful polish but also provides some feeling and edginess (cannot believe that is actually a word). it does everything a finishing stone should do for a double bevel gyuto. it also provides a great precursor for the kitayama on my yanagiba and a works really well following the blue aoto 2k. i feel the aoto and arashiyama work great together.

My mistake! It is a kanetsune...it's still SWEET! haha.
    http://www.foodieforums.com/vbulleti...e-300-sujihiki
    09/06