Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: Help me pick filleting/boning knife

  1. #1

    Help me pick filleting/boning knife

    I am considering kasumi boning and mac SO-70 but i would like to hear any other suggestions . It will be used most often to fillet salmon or halibut.

  2. #2
    Senior Member ThEoRy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Central Jersey
    Posts
    3,149
    180-210mm Deba?
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

  3. #3

    knyfeknerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    Posts
    2,868
    I used to own the Kasumi and it is a decent knife. I'm not familiar with the Mac you're talking about.
    The downsides to the Kasumi are #1 It's VG10, which doesn't get a lot of love from me and plenty of others.
    #2 The bottom(by the bolster) of the cutting edge curves and is very difficult to sharpen.
    Other than that, it has a decent grind, profile and an adequate amount of flex to it-but not too flexy.
    Maybe post a pic or link to the Mac you're talking about.
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by knyfeknerd View Post
    I used to own the Kasumi and it is a decent knife. I'm not familiar with the Mac you're talking about.
    The downsides to the Kasumi are #1 It's VG10, which doesn't get a lot of love from me and plenty of others.
    #2 The bottom(by the bolster) of the cutting edge curves and is very difficult to sharpen.
    Other than that, it has a decent grind, profile and an adequate amount of flex to it-but not too flexy.
    Maybe post a pic or link to the Mac you're talking about.
    this is the mac i am talking about http://www.macknife.com/kitchen/prod...let-knife.html

  5. #5

    knyfeknerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    Posts
    2,868
    I've never owned a Mac, but they do have a decent reputation. The description on this one says it is very thin and flexible, to about 90degrees. Is that something you are looking for? Too much flex can be a bad thing, depending on what you are doing.
    I would definitely shop around some more though. I think you might find a better knife than both of these if you search. Don't overlook Tojiro DP or Suisin either.
    ThEoRy's Deba idea is worth exploring too.
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

  6. #6
    i am not sure how to use deba.
    some flex is fine probably 90 deg flex is too much. what do you guys use to fillet a fish? deba?
    i think the susing and tojiro have only the Honesuki.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    1,405
    after using western fillet knives for a couple years i'd wanna try debas out. =D

    i'm getting me a 120mm (it's on the way), and a 180mm sometime soon.

  8. #8
    Senior Member ThEoRy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Central Jersey
    Posts
    3,149
    Quote Originally Posted by vlad8 View Post
    i am not sure how to use deba.
    some flex is fine probably 90 deg flex is too much. what do you guys use to fillet a fish? deba?
    i think the susing and tojiro have only the Honesuki.
    You don't wan't to use a honesuki for fish. Suisin and tojiro both do have deba. You can also use a sujihiki for fish filleting and portioning/slicing.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

  9. #9
    Senior Member ThEoRy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Central Jersey
    Posts
    3,149
    Quote Originally Posted by franzb69 View Post
    after using western fillet knives for a couple years i'd wanna try debas out. =D

    i'm getting me a 120mm (it's on the way), and a 180mm sometime soon.
    What are you gonna do with a 120mm deba....anchovies???
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    1,405
    tilapia. most fish we handle here are a lot smaller than what you guys have. the good fish we have from our seas gets imported to countries like yours. =D

    sardine type fish mostly with the 120mm

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •