Help me pick filleting/boning knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vlad8

Reaction score
I am considering kasumi boning and mac SO-70 but i would like to hear any other suggestions . It will be used most often to fillet salmon or halibut.

I used to own the Kasumi and it is a decent knife. I'm not familiar with the Mac you're talking about.
The downsides to the Kasumi are #1 It's VG10, which doesn't get a lot of love from me and plenty of others.
#2 The bottom(by the bolster) of the cutting edge curves and is very difficult to sharpen.
Other than that, it has a decent grind, profile and an adequate amount of flex to it-but not too flexy.
Maybe post a pic or link to the Mac you're talking about.

I used to own the Kasumi and it is a decent knife. I'm not familiar with the Mac you're talking about.
The downsides to the Kasumi are #1 It's VG10, which doesn't get a lot of love from me and plenty of others.
#2 The bottom(by the bolster) of the cutting edge curves and is very difficult to sharpen.
Other than that, it has a decent grind, profile and an adequate amount of flex to it-but not too flexy.
Maybe post a pic or link to the Mac you're talking about.

this is the mac i am talking about http://www.macknife.com/kitchen/pro...o-70-professional-series-7q-fillet-knife.html

I've never owned a Mac, but they do have a decent reputation. The description on this one says it is very thin and flexible, to about 90degrees. Is that something you are looking for? Too much flex can be a bad thing, depending on what you are doing.
I would definitely shop around some more though. I think you might find a better knife than both of these if you search. Don't overlook Tojiro DP or Suisin either.
ThEoRy's Deba idea is worth exploring too.

i am not sure how to use deba.
some flex is fine probably 90 deg flex is too much. what do you guys use to fillet a fish? deba?
i think the susing and tojiro have only the Honesuki.

after using western fillet knives for a couple years i'd wanna try debas out. =D

i'm getting me a 120mm (it's on the way), and a 180mm sometime soon.

i am not sure how to use deba.
some flex is fine probably 90 deg flex is too much. what do you guys use to fillet a fish? deba?
i think the susing and tojiro have only the Honesuki.

You don't wan't to use a honesuki for fish. Suisin and tojiro both do have deba. You can also use a sujihiki for fish filleting and portioning/slicing.

after using western fillet knives for a couple years i'd wanna try debas out. =D

i'm getting me a 120mm (it's on the way), and a 180mm sometime soon.

What are you gonna do with a 120mm deba....anchovies???

tilapia. most fish we handle here are a lot smaller than what you guys have. the good fish we have from our seas gets imported to countries like yours. =D

sardine type fish mostly with the 120mm

You don't wan't to use a honesuki for fish. Suisin and tojiro both do have deba. You can also use a sujihiki for fish filleting and portioning/slicing.

yes i have 270 mm suji that i use when i am removing the skin or slicing but i need something shorter and more flexible when i separate the fillet from the backbone.

The 6" Sab flexes nicely, but not too much, they also make a filet knife which is much more flexible. Unless you are stuck on a western style knife I agree that you may want to try a deba. I don't own a deba but want to try one after seeing proper use (see Theory's deba filet videos).

Cheers

I know they're not cheap but check out phil wilson's site. Probably the best for fillet knives

I know they're not cheap but check out phil wilson's site. Probably the best for fillet knives

He has dropped off the face of the earth. Both Oivind and I have tried to contact him in the last year and neither one of us received a response. Personally, I would have Pierre make me a filet knife if I was ready to pull the trigger on one.

i prefer stiff boning knives when boning meat. so my switch to a hankotsu wasn't much of a change.

i don't really fillet a lot of fish so i can't say anything about flexible filleting knives.

I ended up picking up a 210 Shigefusa Miroshi Deba plus I have a few other projects in the works, so the filet knife project is going to sit on the back burner for a while.

He has dropped off the face of the earth. Both Oivind and I have tried to contact him in the last year and neither one of us received a response. Personally, I would have Pierre make me a filet knife if I was ready to pull the trigger on one.

That's too bad. He's an exceptional maker and I was planning on a bow river soon. Who's Pierre?

i think he's referring to pierre rodrigue. great knife maker as well.

i guess i will just use petty as Chuckles suggests for now.

could also check out tojiro dp western boning knife. western knife in japanese steel. best of both worlds.

for salmon I enjoy the length of my 240 sakai takayuki mioroshi, I remove the belly bones with my pierre filet, I wouldn't change it for the world. Use my pierre for cleaning filets when I get mostly cleaned down filets, or flatfish. The deba for whole fish, usually larger ones. If you are getting a knife specifically for fish, I would not suggest a boning knife or a petty, I'd splurge on the deba, if you do enough fish it will be worth it.

Back