Quantcast
Microbevel on an asymmetric knife?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Microbevel on an asymmetric knife?

Microbevel on an asymmetric knife?

So I have decided to take my carbonext down to a bit more then 16 degrees while maintaining the 60/40 asymmetry, i.e roughly 10/7 I guess. I have seen some people say this is pretty close to the limit for a carbonext and in fact may be pushing it a wee bit. So, of course being a big fan of microbevels on my softer german and american made knives because that allowed me to bring them down to 15 degrees which is pretty much their limit, I was thinking I would put a microbevel on my thinned carbonext.

So my question is: do microbevels work as well on asymmetric knives as they do on symmetric knives?? Logically I don't see why they wouldn't but all the discussions of microbevels I have read was about using them on symmetric knives..

TIA

yes they do. just do a microbevel on the right side if you're right handed.

What do you mean by 10/7? Do you mean 7 degree right, Kanji side, and 10 degree back side?

I'd be following the angle proportions on the knife which I will measure with the magic marker trick on my edgepro using an edge cube.

Oh thank you so much, this was the information I couldn't find anywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by gic View Post
    I'd be following the angle proportions on the knife which I will measure with the magic marker trick on my edgepro using an edge cube.
    What do you mean by angle proportions? The degree of asymmetry gives an indication on how much the axis is off-centered, not on which angles you should use to achieve that.

In the end I was going to check the angle proportions OOB via the magic marker trick on an edge pro. Then I would reduce them proportionally which I assume will keep the same degree of asymmetry.

Still I just assume that if a knife is described as say 60/40 and the more angled side was 15, the lesser angle side would be 10, i.e. in a 60/40 ratio.

Is this not what is going on??

since you've thinned the knife behind the edge, it might not be the same proportions anymore. check it by eye and see what you think is going to work. trial and error really will work with this now. most of us has gone through something like this. so you'll just have to see what works best for you.

No offense, but this sure is easier when you just freehand sharpen/thin. You don't need to know or care what the exact angles are, just follow the geometry of the knife.
    one man gathers what another man spills...

Actually I haven't started the thinning process yet. Was trying to understand what it was I was trying to do first :- ) (Mostly because I was shocked to learn form some of the experienced peopel here that my Carbo was probably not made symmetrically and so making it symmetric would not be optimal....

Quote Originally Posted by franzb69 View Post
    since you've thinned the knife behind the edge, it might not be the same proportions anymore. check it by eye and see what you think is going to work. trial and error really will work with this now. most of us has gone through something like this. so you'll just have to see what works best for you.