Quantcast
Introducing the Gesshin 1000/6000 Combo Stone - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Introducing the Gesshin 1000/6000 Combo Stone

i was hoping for others as well like the 2k/8k combo or 600/6k any others in the works jon? splash and go to? id like to add one to my collection but splash n go i may wait for.

Quote Originally Posted by jgraeff View Post
    i was hoping for others as well like the 2k/8k combo or 600/6k any others in the works jon? splash and go to? id like to add one to my collection but splash n go i may wait for.
    I tried this stone out yesterday. It's as Jon described. Frankly, I was extremely impressed by the 1k side of the stone (I'd never used it before). It's relatively hard (to me) for a 1k stone, but is very smooth, fast cutting, but (to me) the most amazing thing was the level of finish. It was excellent on single bevel knives. I wasn't able to do a side by side comparison, but it had, based on my initial observation, a better finish than either my King 1000 or King 1200 on single bevel knives.

And, although it's not a splash and go, it was ready to go with about a 5 minute soak. It also wasn't a thirsty stone. Although I didn't buy it, because I have 3 other stones between 1k and 2k, and I'm waiting for other of Jon's higher grit stones to become available again, I was really, really tempted to buy it because both sides are really good, and I've been looking for a smaller set up for home. It's also a HUGE stone.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Quote Originally Posted by mhlee View Post
    I tried this stone out yesterday. It's as Jon described. Frankly, I was extremely impressed by the 1k side of the stone (I'd never used it before). It's relatively hard (to me) for a 1k stone, but is very smooth, fast cutting, but (to me) the most amazing thing was the level of finish. It was excellent on single bevel knives. I wasn't able to do a side by side comparison, but it had, based on my initial observation, a better finish than either my King 1000 or King 1200 on single bevel knives.

And, although it's not a splash and go, it was ready to go with about a 5 minute soak. It also wasn't a thirsty stone. Although I didn't buy it, because I have 3 other stones between 1k and 2k, and I'm waiting for other of Jon's higher grit stones to become available again, I was really, really tempted to buy it because both sides are really good, and I've been looking for a smaller set up for home. It's also a HUGE stone.
    good to know i still think i will pick one up to have in my bag, just curious how much does it weigh?

i was hoping for others as well like ... 600/6k ... splash n go i may wait for.
    This.

I thought maybe I was the only one.
    More soaker options are nice, but a single stone splash and go combo would be handy. Especially for taking with.
    -Enjoy the ride. *** All statements made herein are my personal opinion and nothing more, regardless of tone or context. ***

good to know i still think i will pick one up to have in my bag, just curious how much does it weigh?
    It says 1518g, which is about 3 1/3 lb.
    -Enjoy the ride. *** All statements made herein are my personal opinion and nothing more, regardless of tone or context. ***

thats a tad heavy but i may look into it haven't been on the website yet will look today thanks!

That could be the perfect combo for a beginner i think my cooks gonna love this one .

This looks like a very interesting stone. How does it compare to existing Gesshin stones - in the 1k - 6k range?

I have the Gesshin 4k. I can see the utility in a 1k stone - but I am wondering if it makes more sense to just buy a low grit stone and stop with my 4k? What added value does a 6K finish bring for a home cook on mostly double beveled knives?

Also, I have been considering a DMT option for lower grits around 1k equivalent - any thoughts on merit of just using a DMT for coarse work, going direct to Gesshin 4k and stopping there (with stropping)? Or does a 6k option really provide added value in the kitchen? I am still a beginner sharpener, with a modest kit.

Long way of saying, I am very curious about this product, and LOVE my Gesshin 4k, and LOVE shopping from Jon - just curious about practical use in my world. Thanks for insight!