Diz Grind Shop

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just picked up a 9" chef's knife from ebay. In the handle is carved "Diz Grind Shop". Knife seems to be from the '50s-'60s, if not earlier. I can't find out anything about it. I'll post picts once I clean up all the rust on it but its seems like a great knife. Anyone hear of this maker?

Hard to tell Travis. There were a lot of small mom and pop grind shops, hardware stores and groceries that had there label or logo placed on the handle of blanks or finished knives supplied to them by a bunch of makers, Dexter, clyde, columbia, foster, Goodell, Lambson,Ontario and case, just to name a few. You could try to match blade profiles with known samples but, frankly a lot of makers made knives with identical profiles and dimensions even handle materials. Show me a picture and we will see what we can see.

Dizgrind.jpg

Haven't cleaned it up yet.

It looks American 1960's maybe and the profile has been changed a little unless that's just the image. very few American knives of this style and time had that pointy and narrow of a tip. It may have been reworked by the grind shop. more then likely 10 series steel 1095 or something similar. This maybe closer to the profile it originally was. THen again maybe not. either way it looks like it will get the job done.

vintage knives 007.jpg

vintage knives 004.jpg

If its a dead hooker with a peg leg made out of mammoth tooth and spalted maple burl with jade teeth; I'm sorry but I already have one. ... unless you carved the leg then.....

I've had it for twenty years. I'm not even sure what its made of. Only used it once. Enjoy it. It loves pigs and small animals

If its a dead hooker with a peg leg made out of mammoth tooth and spalted maple burl with jade teeth; I'm sorry but I already have one. ... unless you carved the leg then.....

oh! you know Molly too?

Back