Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Simi noob here, looking for a decent knife.

Quote Originally Posted by Kabibbles View Post

I usually sharpen with a ceramic, then a steel. We also have a stone available.

I dont know what a FKH.

Im leaning more twards the Fujiwara out of the links you guys posted, I feel if it looks more expensive, my co-workers will respect it more.

Can you guys please post some links to what your talking about? I dont really know what CCK is, Or a Tojero DP.

Thanks guys. Excited to get a new knife.
    With a ceramic what? A rod then a steel? If so you aren't sharpening anything yet.

FKH is the carbon line from Fujiwara http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/FKHSeries.html

CCK 1303 is a cleaver shaped thin veggie slicer.

Tojiro DP is a budget workhorse line made from vg-10 stainless steel. Recommended to a lot of newcommers for it's bang for the buck attraction.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Quote Originally Posted by Justin0505 View Post
    That's a dangerous line of thinking (for your knives).
    People that don't know / care anything about knives and also don't have any respect for other people's property are not going to magical behave better when presented with a new, shiny, "expensive looking" tool for opening cans, whacking frozen coconut, removing floor tile, or whatever ever other asinine things idiots think up to do with knives.

Seriously, I never understood why people think that it's OK to touch another person's tools. Using, much less abusing, destroying or losing someone else's tools in pretty much any other trade is a good way to get run off the job (if not also stomped into the ground). It blows my mind when I hear stories about kitchens where this kind of stuff is accepted, but if you're not going to change the environment / keep people from doing what they've been doing, then you need to just make sure they never have the chance to get their hands on your new knife.
    The guys that I work with understand a good knife, When the guy broke mine he was extremely sorry and worried that I was going to write him up or something. My boss's Shun knife was also respected, everyone knew it was very expensive, It was a mistake that it fell into the bin.

People were just getting in to big of hurry, mistakes were made. Depending on how much I like the new knife I may just keep it in the office when Im not working.

Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    With a ceramic what? A rod then a steel? If so you aren't sharpening anything yet.

CCK 1303 is a cleaver shaped thin veggie slicer.
    I guess im not 100% sure what it is, Its got a handle like a steel, but the tool its self is oblong, its got metal on both sides with holes in it, its yellow beneath the steel, Im sorry I just never even asked what it was, I use it to get the knife back in shape, kind of a pre hone, then I use the steel rod last.

The CCK does look pretty cool, cheap too.

This is an online store that sells all the cck knives.
    http://www.chefsmall.net/Chinese-Knives
    1303 is good if you want a carbon knife but will require more maintenance. They also have every size in stainless as well

I guess im not 100% sure what it is, Its got a handle like a steel, but the tool its self is oblong, its got metal on both sides with holes in it, its yellow beneath the steel, Im sorry I just never even asked what it was, I use it to get the knife back in shape, kind of a pre hone, then I use the steel rod last.
    How about a picture?
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

"metal with yelllow beneath" sounds very much like a diamond whetstone, similar to this : http://www.buckandhickman.com/find/k...duct-is-060287 which is probably around 300/400 grit.

From my own recent experience in getting advice on here, from your budget, it sounds like you should get yourself something from the Fujiwara FKM range from JCK, probably the 240 or 270 Gyuto

Fujiwara FKM $97 for a 270 Gyuto

I bought a CarboNext for the extra $50 or so, but was close to getting the FKM which also came highly recommended. I would say if you can choke up the extra cash most here would recommend it and say the CarboNext is a fantastic bargain, but it is 50% dearer, and if you get he FKM I imagine it will seriously impress you, and then you can always wait until you have some more cash and go a step up from both of these knives.

CarboNext $144 for a 270 Gyuto

You should also shop around for a #1000/#6000 stone and learn to use it (practise on the cheap knives in your kitchen first) it't not difficult, just watch a load of youtube videos and go slowly and carefully until you get the hang of it. There is not much point getting a great knife if you aren't going to learn how to sharpen it properly.

EG:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Japanese-wat...item3a7e5cdb58

The Victorinox sounds like a good idea from the $$$ and practicality route, but I am guessing if you are here asking advice, and if you really liked the Shun, you want to get something a little special that will make you happy in your work.

Enjoy your decision and let us know what you do either way!

The guys that I work with understand a good knife, When the guy broke mine he was extremely sorry and worried that I was going to write him up or something. My boss's Shun knife was also respected, everyone knew it was very expensive, It was a mistake that it fell into the bin.

People were just getting in to big of hurry, mistakes were made. Depending on how much I like the new knife I may just keep it in the office when Im not working.
    Mistakes, in my experience, primarily happen because of either (1) ignorance, (2) carelessness, or (3) bad habits. The fact that other employees were in a big hurry and mistakes were made leads me to believe that, even if you had a nice knife, there's no guarantee that your knife won't end up in the trash because "people were in a hurry" or because of "mistakes".

Your boss's knife fell into the trash? How come no one there bothered to move it out of the way in the first place or pick it up out of the trash at any time? I've gone digging in a trash can full of a week's worth of fish guts to retrieve knives that were accidentally thrown away.

+1 to what Justin posted and everyone who recommended a Forschner.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

How come no one has mentioned Suisin INOX? http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/...0mm-gyuto.html
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

I agree. For some reason, when the carbonext starts getting tossed around, the Inox gets forgotten. Similar price, similar characteristics, but better OOTB and f&f in my expeinace. It's sharpens well, and holds a nice edge.

But in that kitchen, I wouldn't let it out of sight. I'm thinking a belt scabbard or something, lol
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

justin and i have mentioned the belt scabbard on here. so we three are in agreement. =D