Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Simi noob here, looking for a decent knife.

Being that he's mostly using a steel is suggest the fkm. And yes they're out of china

If you work in a Kit. IMO you have to learn how to sharpen on a whetstone.Any knife will get dull after a while.If you go with one stone get a medium usually 1000 grit.If your knives are fr. walmart & get thrown in the trash even the bosses shun,sounds like knife knowledge & respect is at a low level where you work.Just reading this forum & a desire to learn freehand will serve you well.

A good start is the CCK Cleaver,cheap,carbon steel easy to sharpen.Good for picking up food.Just remember the knife is the tool of your trade,respect them & do not let edges bang into things except food & cutting board.

The Forschner Fibrox you can get it sharp on a 1000 stone,edge holding is decent esp. compared to walmart junk.If you get a better Japan Gyuto like the Fujiwara or Suisin Inox forget dropping them on the floor period.Treat them well & they will speed up your prep time.There is NO excuse for knife abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by rdpx View Post

I think this is what they're referring to

yeah, something like that. but i kinda like the one that chefdepot sells. even if i don't like the seller.

Nope, was thinking the spartan look. Or butcher belt ala-Colin
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

Thanks for the info guys. That scabbard seemed like a neat idea, I may look into that.

I may save up a bit longer for the Suisin. Still thinking it over.

Can any of you recommend a good whetstone? Ours kinda sucks. Reasonably priced please.

And yes I understand how ****** up it is that they keep ******* up knives. But I do need a good one that I can be proud of, if you know what Im saying, Im sure the Dexters and other quality low priced ones would get the job done, But A nice knife is something I can be proud of and have for a long time. I plan on letting everyone know how much it cost, and that if they dare to use it they need to understand that they will replace it or be fired (Im not the head chef, more of a sous chef if we had one).

Thanks for the info guys, keep it coming.

bester / beston by imanishi great price and great performer.

dave, the founder of this forum sells them at japaneseknifesharpening. he sells a core set of stones that you might wanna look into.

If price is an issue you should probably go for a combination stone. It is easy to spend a lot of money on high-end stones, but a cheaper combi should be good for you to learn with and give you a decent entry into sharpening.

The auction isn't over yet, but this one might turn out to be a bargain....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KING-Japanes...item4170d90e94

Doesn't have a stand though, if that matters to you.

You can get a combi stone very similar to it at Dave's site for $56, which seems to be the going rate on ebay as well.....

http://www.japaneseknifesharpeningst.../combo1x6x.htm

R

Quote Originally Posted by rdpx View Post
    If price is an issue you should probably go for a combination stone. It is easy to spend a lot of money on high-end stones, but a cheaper combi should be good for you to learn with and give you a decent entry into sharpening.

The auction isn't over yet, but this one might turn out to be a bargain....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KING-Japanes...item4170d90e94

Doesn't have a stand though, if that matters to you.

You can get a combi stone very similar to it at Dave's site for $56, which seems to be the going rate on ebay as well.....

http://www.japaneseknifesharpeningst.../combo1x6x.htm

R
    I guess the only similarity is both are 1k/6k stones.

Are the stones going to be used just for your knife or other knives as well?

Do you have a price range or budget for stones? Reasonably priced is somewhat vague.

Quote Originally Posted by Kabibbles View Post
    Thanks for the info guys. That scabbard seemed like a neat idea, I may look into that.

I may save up a bit longer for the Suisin. Still thinking it over.

Can any of you recommend a good whetstone? Ours kinda sucks. Reasonably priced please.

And yes I understand how ****** up it is that they keep ******* up knives. But I do need a good one that I can be proud of, if you know what Im saying, Im sure the Dexters and other quality low priced ones would get the job done, But A nice knife is something I can be proud of and have for a long time. I plan on letting everyone know how much it cost, and that if they dare to use it they need to understand that they will replace it or be fired (Im not the head chef, more of a sous chef if we had one).

Thanks for the info guys, keep it coming.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"