Simi noob here, looking for a decent knife.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kabibbles

Reaction score
Hey guys, Ive been cooking for around 6-7 years, nothing to fancy, but the job I have had for the last 1.5 years has me using a knife more then ever.

At the restaurant I work at, we do everything from scratch, so you understand that means a lot of dicing, chopping, and all around cutting. But the owners never invested much money into knifes, it seems foolish to be seeing how much we use them. I had a decent knife, by my standards probably not yours lol, it was a Guy Fiettie (the dude from diners driveins and dives) knuckle duster knife, it was decent and did the job until one of my co-workers broke it somehow, after that I mostly used my boss's knife which was a Shun 10" chef knife, but last night some idiot threw it in the trash and they took the trash this morning. All the other knifes we have are from walmart, so yeah, they suck.

So Im guessing Im asking for info on a decent knife, or set, would be. After browsing for a while on this forum I see that most of you are more into the very nice, very expensive type of knifes, but I do not make that much money, I need something around $100 or so. The only companies that I even know about are Shun and Global.

I would like a large chefs knife, I like them nice and wide and we use the side of the knifes for plating a lot. Any style of blade is fine. Something that can be dropped and wont take any real damage, preferably handle heavy so the end of the handle will hit the ground first and not the point.

Could probably also use a small pairing knife, and a 8-10inch for general use.

Sorry if this sounds silly or anything, just asking for some tips. Thanks guys.

*edit* ohh and I almost forgot, something that feels nice in the hand, I am right handed, and I pinch the base of the blade with my thumb and index, and the rest of the fingers stay on the handle.

Knives getting broken and thrown in the trash?
Sounds like a job for the Forschner Fibrox!
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000CF8YO/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I wouldn't want to bring even a $100 knife to that work environment, it's not worth the stress. This bad boy will do the job well and is cheap enough to be easily replaced. In fact, it's cheap enough that work might spring for a few to go around.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aye, check out the Fujiwara. Tojiro DP is another decent option for a bit more.

How do you sharpen by the way? Without a doubt the steel on these will be better than the Knuckle Duster but less forgiven and seeing as it sounds like thework environment isn't too kind on knives if you're not using stones to sharpen (and fix) said knives perhaps it'd be better to grab something you can easy maintain on a steel and isn't fragile, ie the Victorinox fibrox line as Wenus2 suggested.

Alternatively, and I'm aware I'm gonna sound like a broken record, but I'd say it's worth having a look at a cheap chinese cleaver like a CCK or dexter russel. Once you're use to cleavers they're incredibly efficient and great for scooping ingredients, scrapping your board, plating, smashing garlic/ginger etc.

Cheers,
Josh

I'd go for something like the suggestions so far. I thought my knives got beat up by my co-workers, but throwing them in the bin? That's a whole different level. I'd also recommend getting a 270 if you do a lot of prep

i'd say keep the knife by your side at all times. wear a butcher's belt or something so noone can just get it or use it

i know i'm getting one.

Fujiwara fkm or fkh Gyuto 240mm or carbonext Gyuto 240mm.

Given your kitchen situation, another plus 1 on the Forschner 10" chef knife recommendation. Mine went walking after a shift, and so glad it that was only a $30 knife.

I second a cleaver as well. CCK are great but in carbon which you may not want to deal with and apparently their stainless isn't that great

#3 for a CCK or dexter cleaver. For one good reason, some people are so intimidated by them, they will leave them alone. Only one of my co-workers asks to use one of mine, the rest leave them alone. Ask to use other knives yes, but cleavers no

Knives getting broken and thrown in the trash?
Sounds like a job for the Forschner Fibrox!
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000CF8YO/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I wouldn't want to bring even a $100 knife to that work environment, it's not worth the stress. This bad boy will do the job well and is cheap enough to be easily replaced. In fact, it's cheap enough that work might spring for a few to go around.

+2

Also, I'll 2nd the notion of getting a butcher's belt / holster and never letting it out of your site.

Thanks for all the help guys.

To answer a few questions.
I usually sharpen with a ceramic, then a steel. We also have a stone available.

I mostly cut veggies, chicken breast, breads. No bones.

I dont know what a FKH.

Im leaning more twards the Fujiwara out of the links you guys posted, I feel if it looks more expensive, my co-workers will respect it more.

Can you guys please post some links to what your talking about? I dont really know what CCK is, Or a Tojero DP.

Thanks guys. Excited to get a new knife.

...I feel if it looks more expensive, my co-workers will respect it more.

That's a dangerous line of thinking (for your knives).
People that don't know / care anything about knives and also don't have any respect for other people's property are not going to magical behave better when presented with a new, shiny, "expensive looking" tool for opening cans, whacking frozen coconut, removing floor tile, or whatever ever other asinine things idiots think up to do with knives.

Seriously, I never understood why people think that it's OK to touch another person's tools. Using, much less abusing, destroying or losing someone else's tools in pretty much any other trade is a good way to get run off the job (if not also stomped into the ground). It blows my mind when I hear stories about kitchens where this kind of stuff is accepted, but if you're not going to change the environment / keep people from doing what they've been doing, then you need to just make sure they never have the chance to get their hands on your new knife.

tojiro dp, they come in different sizes so just search for the one you want =D

http://www.amazon.com/Tojiro-F-810-Tojiro-DP-Gyutou-10-5/dp/B000UANWIC

chan chi kee cutlery, just go to your nearest china town, they usually have them there. or you can find them online being sold somewhere.

http://www.chanchikee.com/

fujiwara, the FKH is the carbon steel line and FKM is their stainless steel line

http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/FujiwaraKanefusa.html

then you will need a gyuto / chef knife for most things and a 135-150mm petty and a paring knife......

I usually sharpen with a ceramic, then a steel. We also have a stone available.

I dont know what a FKH.

Im leaning more twards the Fujiwara out of the links you guys posted, I feel if it looks more expensive, my co-workers will respect it more.

Can you guys please post some links to what your talking about? I dont really know what CCK is, Or a Tojero DP.

Thanks guys. Excited to get a new knife.

With a ceramic what? A rod then a steel? If so you aren't sharpening anything yet.

FKH is the carbon line from Fujiwara http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/FKHSeries.html

CCK 1303 is a cleaver shaped thin veggie slicer.

Tojiro DP is a budget workhorse line made from vg-10 stainless steel. Recommended to a lot of newcommers for it's bang for the buck attraction.

That's a dangerous line of thinking (for your knives).
People that don't know / care anything about knives and also don't have any respect for other people's property are not going to magical behave better when presented with a new, shiny, "expensive looking" tool for opening cans, whacking frozen coconut, removing floor tile, or whatever ever other asinine things idiots think up to do with knives.

Seriously, I never understood why people think that it's OK to touch another person's tools. Using, much less abusing, destroying or losing someone else's tools in pretty much any other trade is a good way to get run off the job (if not also stomped into the ground). It blows my mind when I hear stories about kitchens where this kind of stuff is accepted, but if you're not going to change the environment / keep people from doing what they've been doing, then you need to just make sure they never have the chance to get their hands on your new knife.

The guys that I work with understand a good knife, When the guy broke mine he was extremely sorry and worried that I was going to write him up or something. My boss's Shun knife was also respected, everyone knew it was very expensive, It was a mistake that it fell into the bin.

People were just getting in to big of hurry, mistakes were made. Depending on how much I like the new knife I may just keep it in the office when Im not working.

With a ceramic what? A rod then a steel? If so you aren't sharpening anything yet.

CCK 1303 is a cleaver shaped thin veggie slicer.

I guess im not 100% sure what it is, Its got a handle like a steel, but the tool its self is oblong, its got metal on both sides with holes in it, its yellow beneath the steel, Im sorry I just never even asked what it was, I use it to get the knife back in shape, kind of a pre hone, then I use the steel rod last.

The CCK does look pretty cool, cheap too.

I guess im not 100% sure what it is, Its got a handle like a steel, but the tool its self is oblong, its got metal on both sides with holes in it, its yellow beneath the steel, Im sorry I just never even asked what it was, I use it to get the knife back in shape, kind of a pre hone, then I use the steel rod last.

How about a picture?

"metal with yelllow beneath" sounds very much like a diamond whetstone, similar to this : http://www.buckandhickman.com/find/keyword-is-3m/product-is-060287 which is probably around 300/400 grit.

From my own recent experience in getting advice on here, from your budget, it sounds like you should get yourself something from the Fujiwara FKM range from JCK, probably the 240 or 270 Gyuto

Fujiwara FKM $97 for a 270 Gyuto

I bought a CarboNext for the extra $50 or so, but was close to getting the FKM which also came highly recommended. I would say if you can choke up the extra cash most here would recommend it and say the CarboNext is a fantastic bargain, but it is 50% dearer, and if you get he FKM I imagine it will seriously impress you, and then you can always wait until you have some more cash and go a step up from both of these knives.

CarboNext $144 for a 270 Gyuto

You should also shop around for a #1000/#6000 stone and learn to use it (practise on the cheap knives in your kitchen first) it't not difficult, just watch a load of youtube videos and go slowly and carefully until you get the hang of it. There is not much point getting a great knife if you aren't going to learn how to sharpen it properly.

EG:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Japanese-water-stone-KING-1000-6000-whetstone-sharpening-stone-with-stand-/251228117848?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a7e5cdb58

The Victorinox sounds like a good idea from the $$$ and practicality route, but I am guessing if you are here asking advice, and if you really liked the Shun, you want to get something a little special that will make you happy in your work.

Enjoy your decision and let us know what you do either way!

[SUP][/SUP]
The guys that I work with understand a good knife, When the guy broke mine he was extremely sorry and worried that I was going to write him up or something. My boss's Shun knife was also respected, everyone knew it was very expensive, It was a mistake that it fell into the bin.

People were just getting in to big of hurry, mistakes were made. Depending on how much I like the new knife I may just keep it in the office when Im not working.

Mistakes, in my experience, primarily happen because of either (1) ignorance, (2) carelessness, or (3) bad habits. The fact that other employees were in a big hurry and mistakes were made leads me to believe that, even if you had a nice knife, there's no guarantee that your knife won't end up in the trash because "people were in a hurry" or because of "mistakes".

Your boss's knife fell into the trash? How come no one there bothered to move it out of the way in the first place or pick it up out of the trash at any time? I've gone digging in a trash can full of a week's worth of fish guts to retrieve knives that were accidentally thrown away.

+1 to what Justin posted and everyone who recommended a Forschner.

I agree. For some reason, when the carbonext starts getting tossed around, the Inox gets forgotten. Similar price, similar characteristics, but better OOTB and f&f in my expeinace. It's sharpens well, and holds a nice edge.

But in that kitchen, I wouldn't let it out of sight. I'm thinking a belt scabbard or something, lol

justin and i have mentioned the belt scabbard on here. so we three are in agreement. =D

Back