240 mm damascus gyuto passaround

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delbert Ealy

Reaction score
I would like to announce that I am going to do a passaround of one of my 240mm damascus gyutos. For this initail passaround I would like to limit the number of participants to 10.
Partly because of this limited number I would ask that the people that already own one of my gyutos refrain from participating. I would also like to limit this first passaround to our USA members. This is mostly to cut down on the amount of the time the knife is abroad. I may do another passaround in the future for our international members. Please keep in mind that I do this for a living and this will be one knife that will not be available for sale until the end of the passaround. Speaking of which, the knife will be first offered for sale to those participating in the passaround. I would like to start the pass around at the ECG, and the knife will be available for tryout at the ECG. I would ask that all members that sign up for the passaround please post your comments about the knife in this thread. I would like to limit the time of each trial to 7 days from the day of reciept of the knife. I would also like to request that usps prioity mail be used for shipping with delivery conformation and the appropriate amount of insurance.

Thanks,
Del

I'm working on the knife now and will post pics when I can

Del, I am very interested in buying one of your damascus gyutos in the future. Would you might if a Canadian took your passaround knife for a week? Thanks, Lyle.

I'd give my left... Well, let's just say, I'm in.

Fantastic, I've been wanting to get my hands on one of your beautiful knives.
I'm ready and willing :)

Edit: On second thought I'll let someone with more experience get in line for the passaround. I think that'd be better for everyone. :)

Very generous offer of you Del. Your knives look great. :)

That's a very generous offer, Del. Thanks! I would love to be considered for a pass around, though, I should point out that I'm a mere home-chef. If that's cool with you, though, I'd love to participate.

Guys,
Please keep in mind that I am a home chef as well. I know I have a good design and I know that the steel with the heat treatment I give it will perform well. I welcome the feedback from all members, I do know that some of the professional chefs might be able to really put the knife through its paces, I also want to know how the knife compares to the knives you already have. I have seen many photos, but I have held very few kitchen knives, and certianly not any of the japanese or customs from other american makers. I would like your impressions, so any of you home chefs, don't be shy if you are interested.

Guys,
Please keep in mind that I am a home chef as well. I know I have a good design and I know that the steel with the heat treatment I give it will perform well. I welcome the feedback from all members, I do know that some of the professional chefs might be able to really put the knife through its paces, I also want to know how the knife compares to the knives you already have. I have seen many photos, but I have held very few kitchen knives, and certianly not any of the japanese or customs from other american makers. I would like your impressions, so any of you home chefs, don't be shy if you are interested.

Well, if there's room I'd like to throw my hat in the ring. :)

Umm, to be clear, I did not intend to put myself into the pass around.

I would like in on this if possible. I'm a home chef with a Takeda gyuto to compaire it to!

i'm a home cook. i have a konosuke 270 white #2, a shigefusa 240, a mizuno 270 blue #2, and a hattori fh 240 to compare it to.

BTW, I have Ichimonji TKC, Devin Thomas ITK and Hiromoto AS gyutos to compare it to:)

I'd like to be in on this one as well. Of course, video demonstrations or a review can be done with no problem.

I wouldn't mind taking part in this one either, professional kitchen usage here!

Ok guys it looks like we have our ten participants. I would like you to Pm me with your location (ie city and state) and your level of sharpening ability. If you normally send out for sharpening tell me, if you feel very confident in your ability, please tell me. I intend to work out the list with this in mind. I don't mean any offence to anyone, but I don't want the knife to come back to me with a bunch of mis-sharpening scratches. Also keep in mind that I am going to offer this knife to you guys first after the pass-around. This is the first time I have done a pass-around, and I have to admit I am a bit nervous about it.
Thanks Guys,
Del

I look forward to hearing about this knife from those who :chefcut:

Doh! Didn't get here time. Please let me know if you have any dropouts! :D

Oy you snooze you lose. Oh well, I'll have to be happy with the other 5 passarounds I'm waiting for.

The makers on this forum are the best! But holding these knives is not so good for our budgets!

Back