Quantcast
Sharpening advice.... - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sharpening advice....

Arrow

I want to know what the heck he used it for. Was he cutting rocks? I know the shun knives are fragile with regards to this but I've never seen such a mess

Quote Originally Posted by cwrightthruya View Post
    I've done a few tips, but nothing nearly as bad as this. So, here is a question for you all. Would it be better to fix the bevel and take out the large chips before even trying to fix the tip by grinding the spine? It seems that it would make it easier, at least for me, to see what the final shape would end up as. Or would it be better to switch back and forth as you work, sort of making the 2 meet in the middle?

Thanks,
    Chris

Grind the spine down till it almost hits the edge that way when you start removing from the edge you can make the two meet. This way you lose less steel from the spine. Barely. But it's a bit easier since you don't have to take the thicker spine all the way down.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Quote Originally Posted by daveb View Post

It would require way too much time and stone wear for a knife that at best would have limited application.
    Not with a diamond plate or belt grinder.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

...or with coarse sandpaper.

i would use a dremel tool. cut it down to the desired shape. would only take 15 minutes to cut it down. then just sharpening it up and rounding down the edges on the new spine.

ive done this twice. once with dmt 325 and shapton pro 220 and 320, which took like 5 hours. once with a belt sander, took like 30 mins. shaptons were ruined 4-5 mm and needed serious lapping afterwards, which took at least another hour with 400 grit silicon carbid. even with dmt coarse its a pain in the ass. i wouldnt do it again, especially not if i wouldnt get paid for it...

even an angle grinder, a vice and water to cool the blade down would work faster.

I also this you should use sandpaper for fixing this knife. Maybe so much work will wear on your expensive diamond plate and also I agree about it is not the best knife to wear your equipment with. Tell us after how this goes!

Quote Originally Posted by daveb View Post

That said I would pass on the repair unless you're looking for a project. It would require way too much time and stone wear for a knife that at best would have limited application.

Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    Not with a diamond plate or belt grinder.

I know this anathema to some here but the best possible outcome of such a repair (on this knife) is a well polished turd.

Wrap it and round file it.

Regards,
    Dave
    Older and wider.

Yeah, I'd have a hard time investing much sweat, time, or wear on my sharpening equipment on this one.

+ Reply to Thread