Quantcast
Sharpening advice.... - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Sharpening advice....

Last time I did such heavy work, it was sidewalk and wet cinder block with brick slurry. I just walked backwards down the sidewalk dragging the spine, then used a sawing motion on the cinder block to remove chips, cut in a new bevel, then go to the water stones to polish everything out.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions, observations, and ideas. Here is a side-by-side with my results:

I'm quite pleased with the outcome. It could be a little flatter along the spine...but this is not bad at all. And that damn chip in the edge almost gave me a fit. These things are damned chippy...I wasn't about to start back over at 400 just to get that out.

If anyone is interested in the complete photo set, it's here:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...2669414&type=1

This petty was 1 of 3 shuns I did, along with a Calphalon Katana, and some mid-range wusthoff/henckel's knock off. The Katana has a fracture in it about 1" from the heel, about 3/4" long, is that typical for these knives? It took a pretty darn good edge, as did the shuns.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Looks great

Oh, and kudos to ThEoRy, he guessed the time nearly exactly: guess=45 min, actual=40min.

Excellent!

Looking sharp!! Told ya it wasn't that bad. Nice job!
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

that looks awesome! good job!

Nice work! I personally think that these kinda restorations are enjoyable... there's something about restoring function to a broken tool, even if it's "just" a humble shun, that's very satisfying.
    And sharpening on a cinder block is just goofy fun.
    "I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded

Quote Originally Posted by Justin0505 View Post
    I personally think that these kinda restorations are enjoyable... there's something about restoring function to a broken tool, even if it's "just" a humble shun, that's very satisfying.
    And sharpening on a cinder block is just goofy fun.
    Exactly! Both a good chance to learn something, and a good chance to confirm something I've learned. And yeah, the cinderblock was a bit of slapstick....rather effective slapstick mind you. I know the owner will be pleased, these were previously considered, "beyond help."

I fully restored one of those kalphalon katana vg1 blades last year for an employee. Tip was broken off and there was a HUGE overgrind about an inch up from the heel right through the sweet spot from improperly honing on a diamond rod for years. Told him I could fix it for him and he just laughed and was like "no way". Took it home and reprofiled it on the plate, fixed the overgrind, I even buffed it and etched the damascus just for fun. He was like, "I thought it was unfixable this is like a totally different knife!" Then I told him it was all done by hand... lololol It is a pretty satisfying experience.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/